Long Island Weddings Vendors ▼

Bellport Country Club - reception location

Brentwood Country Club - reception location

Mediterranean Manor Caterers - reception location

EXO Photography & Cinema - photo

Tailored Events - decor

Centerpieces

Posted By

NEW Appropriate gift for Chinese wedding?

margaritav

Wedding Newbie

39 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
9/19/2009 3:30 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
North Ritz Club

I am going to a friend / co-worker's wedding this Saturday and the ceremony & reception will be at a Chinese banquet hall. She is having about 500 people (!!) and the food will be served family style. I know that this is not as expensive as a traditional reception hall, but I'm not really sure how much it's costing her. Any idea what an appropriate gift p/p is for this type of wedding?

TIA!

Posted By

NEW Re: Appropriate gift for Chinese wedding?

kris_gets_hitched

kris_gets_hitched

Wisconsin-bound for Pearl Jam!

13924 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
6/20/2010 11:30 AM

WEDDING LOCATION
Waffle House.

I would just give whatever I would normally give for a friend/co-worker's wedding. I'm not a fan of the "pay for your plate" concept.
If a friend/coworker of mine was having a reception in their backyard, I'd still give the same amount as I would if they had it in a hall. Because what I'm giving is a gift for the couple to use as they begin their lives together.

Posted By

wo0shply

wo0shply

i love my Hubby

3837 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
10/12/2008 12:00 AM

WEDDING LOCATION
Vanderbilt Mansion Dowling

Posted by kris_gets_hitched

I would just give whatever I would normally give for a friend/co-worker's wedding. I'm not a fan of the "pay for your plate" concept.
If a friend/coworker of mine was having a reception in their backyard, I'd still give the same amount as I would if they had it in a hall. Because what I'm giving is a gift for the couple to use as they begin their lives together.

I totally agree.

Posted By

margaritav

Wedding Newbie

39 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
North Ritz Club

I see what you're saying but I am not trying to be stingy - at the same time I don't want to give too much because that's awkward as well. What's appropriate for a co-worker's wedding? For anyone else I give $150 p/p (for traditional weddings) and if it's family I give more - but this diferent, so I don't want to mess it up. And I want to at LEAST cover my plate, which is also why I am asking.

Posted By

AFutureBride

AFutureBride

We're expecting a baby!!

1189 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
8/1/2009 2:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Crest Hollow Country Club

For Chinese Wedding you bring money in a red envelope. It is usually collected when you arrive into the banquet hall where you find your seating assignment.

Give what you normally give at weddings. I went to my coworkers wedding in Chinatown at a banquet hall and there were 500 ppl. I gave just over $200. Where the wedding is doesnt matter to me...

Posted By

Just Cindy

Just Cindy

Is happy to be married!!!!!!!!

5036 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
9/12/2009 11:30 AM

WEDDING LOCATION
Beckwith Pointe

Usually gifts are $100 pp depending on how close you are to her and what is being served but $100 is a good figure.

Posted By

AFutureBride

AFutureBride

We're expecting a baby!!

1189 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION

Posted by margaritav

I see what you're saying but I am not trying to be stingy - at the same time I don't want to give too much because that's awkward as well. What's appropriate for a co-worker's wedding? For anyone else I give $150 p/p (for traditional weddings) and if it's family I give more - but this diferent, so I don't want to mess it up. And I want to at LEAST cover my plate, which is also why I am asking.

What is awkward about giving too much money? I don't understand this part...

I interpret this as, you give a certain amount of money only to find out people gave way less than you did. As a result you feel jipped? Is this what you mean feeling awkward?

Just trying to understand what you are saying.

Posted By

AFutureBride

AFutureBride

We're expecting a baby!!

1189 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION

Posted by Just Cindy

Usually gifts are $100 pp depending on how close you are to her and what is being served but $100 is a good figure.

ITA - $100 is the minimum amount I give per person when I attend weddings.

Posted By

wo0shply

wo0shply

i love my Hubby

3837 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
10/12/2008 12:00 AM

WEDDING LOCATION
Vanderbilt Mansion Dowling

Posted by margaritav

If you're unsure I would say $100 per person is a reasonable gift for a coworker

Posted By

RPMG26599

RPMG26599

Married my Best Friend!!

1027 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
10/9/2009 6:30 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
The Vanderbilt @ Dowling College

What makes this wedding any different than any other?

My minimum is $100.00 per person. That should be fine =)

Posted By

margaritav

Wedding Newbie

39 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
North Ritz Club

Posted by AFutureBride

Posted by margaritav

What is awkward about giving too much money? I don't understand this part...

I interpret this as, you give a certain amount of money only to find out people gave way less than you did. As a result you feel jipped? Is this what you mean feeling awkward?

Just trying to understand what you are saying.

What I am trying to say that I don't want to make the recipient feel weird or obligated if I give more than what she would expect. For example, for my shower I got some very expensive gifts from people that I didn't expect much from - I definitely appreciated it, but felt a little guilty, too. Maybe that's just me.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

FROM SOMETHING BLUE... TO SOMETHINGS NEW! Personalize your wedding with the Long Island Weddings Shop.
b-01 bracelet

b-01 bracelet
$89.00