Mediterranean Manor Caterers - reception location

Christy Ann Cosmetics - make up

Lessing's Waterfront Weddings - reception location

Jimmy Osborne Music - Bands

Now It's Personal - wedding details

Cosmetic Dentistry

▼ 39 POSTS | WEDDING DATE 9/19/2009 3:30 PM
Posted By

NEW Appropriate gift for Chinese wedding?

margaritav

Wedding Newbie

39 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
9/19/2009 3:30 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
North Ritz Club

I am going to a friend / co-worker's wedding this Saturday and the ceremony & reception will be at a Chinese banquet hall. She is having about 500 people (!!) and the food will be served family style. I know that this is not as expensive as a traditional reception hall, but I'm not really sure how much it's costing her. Any idea what an appropriate gift p/p is for this type of wedding?

TIA!

POSTED BY kris_gets_hitched
5 years ago
▼ 13924 POSTS | WEDDING DATE 6/20/2010 11:30 AM
Posted By

NEW Re: Appropriate gift for Chinese wedding?

kris_gets_hitched

kris_gets_hitched

Wisconsin-bound for Pearl Jam!

13924 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
6/20/2010 11:30 AM

WEDDING LOCATION
Waffle House.

I would just give whatever I would normally give for a friend/co-worker's wedding. I'm not a fan of the "pay for your plate" concept.
If a friend/coworker of mine was having a reception in their backyard, I'd still give the same amount as I would if they had it in a hall. Because what I'm giving is a gift for the couple to use as they begin their lives together.

▼ 3837 POSTS | WEDDING DATE 10/12/2008 12:00 AM
Posted By

wo0shply

wo0shply

i love my Hubby

3837 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
10/12/2008 12:00 AM

WEDDING LOCATION
Vanderbilt Mansion Dowling

Posted by kris_gets_hitched

I would just give whatever I would normally give for a friend/co-worker's wedding. I'm not a fan of the "pay for your plate" concept.
If a friend/coworker of mine was having a reception in their backyard, I'd still give the same amount as I would if they had it in a hall. Because what I'm giving is a gift for the couple to use as they begin their lives together.

I totally agree.

Posted By

margaritav

Wedding Newbie

39 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
North Ritz Club

I see what you're saying but I am not trying to be stingy - at the same time I don't want to give too much because that's awkward as well. What's appropriate for a co-worker's wedding? For anyone else I give $150 p/p (for traditional weddings) and if it's family I give more - but this diferent, so I don't want to mess it up. And I want to at LEAST cover my plate, which is also why I am asking.

▼ 1189 POSTS | WEDDING DATE 8/1/2009 2:00 PM
Posted By

AFutureBride

AFutureBride

We're expecting a baby!!

1189 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
8/1/2009 2:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Crest Hollow Country Club

For Chinese Wedding you bring money in a red envelope. It is usually collected when you arrive into the banquet hall where you find your seating assignment.

Give what you normally give at weddings. I went to my coworkers wedding in Chinatown at a banquet hall and there were 500 ppl. I gave just over $200. Where the wedding is doesnt matter to me...

▼ 5036 POSTS | WEDDING DATE 9/12/2009 11:30 AM
Posted By

Just Cindy

Just Cindy

Is happy to be married!!!!!!!!

5036 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
9/12/2009 11:30 AM

WEDDING LOCATION
Beckwith Pointe

Usually gifts are $100 pp depending on how close you are to her and what is being served but $100 is a good figure.

Posted By

AFutureBride

AFutureBride

We're expecting a baby!!

1189 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION

Posted by margaritav

I see what you're saying but I am not trying to be stingy - at the same time I don't want to give too much because that's awkward as well. What's appropriate for a co-worker's wedding? For anyone else I give $150 p/p (for traditional weddings) and if it's family I give more - but this diferent, so I don't want to mess it up. And I want to at LEAST cover my plate, which is also why I am asking.

What is awkward about giving too much money? I don't understand this part...

I interpret this as, you give a certain amount of money only to find out people gave way less than you did. As a result you feel jipped? Is this what you mean feeling awkward?

Just trying to understand what you are saying.

Posted By

AFutureBride

AFutureBride

We're expecting a baby!!

1189 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION

Posted by Just Cindy

Usually gifts are $100 pp depending on how close you are to her and what is being served but $100 is a good figure.

ITA - $100 is the minimum amount I give per person when I attend weddings.

▼ 3837 POSTS | WEDDING DATE 10/12/2008 12:00 AM
Posted By

wo0shply

wo0shply

i love my Hubby

3837 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
10/12/2008 12:00 AM

WEDDING LOCATION
Vanderbilt Mansion Dowling

Posted by margaritav

If you're unsure I would say $100 per person is a reasonable gift for a coworker

▼ 1027 POSTS | WEDDING DATE 10/9/2009 6:30 PM
Posted By

RPMG26599

RPMG26599

Married my Best Friend!!

1027 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
10/9/2009 6:30 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
The Vanderbilt @ Dowling College

What makes this wedding any different than any other?

My minimum is $100.00 per person. That should be fine =)

Posted By

margaritav

Wedding Newbie

39 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
North Ritz Club

Posted by AFutureBride

Posted by margaritav

What is awkward about giving too much money? I don't understand this part...

I interpret this as, you give a certain amount of money only to find out people gave way less than you did. As a result you feel jipped? Is this what you mean feeling awkward?

Just trying to understand what you are saying.

What I am trying to say that I don't want to make the recipient feel weird or obligated if I give more than what she would expect. For example, for my shower I got some very expensive gifts from people that I didn't expect much from - I definitely appreciated it, but felt a little guilty, too. Maybe that's just me.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

FROM SOMETHING BLUE... TO SOMETHINGS NEW! Personalize your wedding with the Long Island Weddings Shop.
cz earring

cz earring
$79.00