NEW Hurricane Katrina telethon KANYE WEST

mikeysgirl

Board Fanatic

387 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
11/24/2004 3:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
fox hollow-recom

During the telethon Kanye West Just said "George Bush Does Not Like Black people!!!" on like air!!!!!! OMG!!! What a jerk!!

Posted By

NEW Re: Hurricane Katrina telethon KANYE WEST

mikeysgirl

Board Fanatic

387 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
fox hollow-recom

You should have heard him reading off the teleprompter, maybe he should have finished school and learned to read. What a moron. I am sitting here watching in tears, and he has the nerve to ruin the show b/c he is a racist.

Posted By

Mrs. dleeny

Mrs. dleeny

My most beautiful day ever

-7523 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
11/6/2005 5:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Swan Club A+

what a jack@ss

Posted By

heidla

heidla

Anyone care for a spot of tea?

5901 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
5/28/2004 7:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
The Snuff Mill at the NYBG

He wasn't reading off of the telepropter. That is why Mike Myers gave him a strange look earlier in his speech.

Posted By

JPC1125

JPC1125

Friendship=the key to marriage

-6222 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
11/25/2005 4:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Crest Hollow

are y'all just upset at the event he chose to air his comments on or the comment themselves?

Posted By

MCDO15

MCDO15

You got Served!

2833 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
3/13/2005 5:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Giorgio's at Fox Hill

i think this thread is gonna get out of control so i anit gonna say a word

Posted By

heidla

heidla

5901 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION

Posted by JPC1125

are y'all just upset at the event he chose to air his comments on or the comment themselves?

I'm not upset at anything. I think he was speaking his feeling and I happen to think that there is some amount of truth in some of what he said.

Posted By

TimmysGirl

TimmysGirl

Board Fanatic

451 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
5/22/2005 12:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Chateau Briand

Posted by mikeysgirl

You should have heard him reading off the teleprompter, maybe he should have finished school and learned to read. What a moron. I am sitting here watching in tears, and he has the nerve to ruin the show b/c he is a racist.

Well, I guess I'll start the argument by not agreeing with some of these posts...

Let me preface this by saying that I am not a fan of Kanye West...

Now, with that said, why is he considered a racst? Because he spoke his mind? He is seeing images of THOUSANDS of displaced blacks that have not received ANY relief in 3 to 4 days! I'm sorry to say this but the harsh reality is that New Orleans is two-thirds percent Black and one-third of the citys occupants fall BELOW the poverty line making them number 63 out of 69 citys in the US that are poor.

It is a SAD reality that had this happened in a predominantly white middle upper class neighborhood, relief would have been there within HOURS not DAYS.

I, mean come on, it took Bush 4 DAYS to even go out and see the mass DEVESTATION that has happened in that area.

All this is, is a wake up call that ALL things are NOT Equal!

Now, I am not saying it is only a Black thing but it IS a CLASS thing... The people down that are still stuck down there swimming in feces, walking amognst the dead, hungry with no food, clean water or clean clothes are POOR people! And are MAJORITY BLACK...

Posted By

MCDO15

MCDO15

You got Served!

2833 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
Giorgio's at Fox Hill

to say it at this venue is wrong... yes, the response is slow but Bush admitted that and is working on it. i hate the fact that people are not worry about everything else that is going on and worry about the dead still trap in there attics trying to escape the flood or why these "black" ppl are acting a fool and trying to loot. yes, new orleans is 75% black. yes, most of the are middle to low class. i better evac could of been given for those who couldn't evacuate (this could be a lesson learned). not that i'm a stearotype but some of these people keep them selfs in proverty conditons. i saw an interview of a preson that just had a baby. she was complain that my baby this, my baby that. she is only 17 years old w/o a baby daddy. some people in this world dont want to do better in life. now with that said, i don't say these people don't deserve nothing but give the gov't a freaking break already. afterall, at the end, no matter who points figers at who, 1000's of people are dead and new orleans will never be the same. speaking of new orleans, does anybody think, any other city was effected? in other states/towns that are not affected in this manner, there is no help either. this is a diaster beyond anybody popraption. i dont expect anybody to handle this in a smooth manner.

there are too many people in this world to quick to judge and i blame everybody for not having a mind saying, people are dyeing due to mother nature. i want to help. help by donateing money cause eventully, this will need more after billions are spend in the coming weeks.

Posted By

lcherian

lcherian

I'm a Mrs.!!

1544 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
6/24/2006 2:30 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Hyatt Wind Watch

Posted by TimmysGirl

Posted by mikeysgirl

Well, I guess I'll start the argument by not agreeing with some of these posts...

Now, with that said, why is he considered a racst? Because he spoke his mind? He is seeing images of THOUSANDS of displaced blacks that have not received ANY relief in 3 to 4 days! I'm sorry to say this but the harsh reality is that New Orleans is two-thirds percent Black and one-third of the citys occupants fall BELOW the poverty line making them number 63 out of 69 citys in the US that are poor.

It is a SAD reality that had this happened in a predominantly white middle upper class neighborhood, relief would have been there within HOURS not DAYS.

I, mean come on, it took Bush 4 DAYS to even go out and see the mass DEVESTATION that has happened in that area.

Now, I am not saying it is only a Black thing but it IS a CLASS thing... The people down that are still stuck down there swimming in feces, walking amognst the dead, hungry with no food, clean water or clean clothes are POOR people! And are MAJORITY BLACK...

Amen sista!

Posted By

TimmysGirl

TimmysGirl

Board Fanatic

451 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
5/22/2005 12:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Chateau Briand

At this point its not a bout pointing fingers its just about cold hard facts. The federal aid did not and is not comng quick enough for all the people down there living in squaller...

Come on, our dear president was on VACATION when the all of the terrible things happened in this nation... But his response is too slow. Yes this is an act of mother nature but come on when do we get this fixed. After our president decides to go to a party in San Francisco (which is what he did straight after coming off of vacation)

Or do these people have to wait for dear old Condi to return to DC from NY after shopping in Hermes and going to see Spamalot...

And when I hear that

ITS NOT JUSY BUSH ITS THE WHOLE FRIGGIN ADMINISTRATION!!!

Posted By

lilacwine

lilacwine

In-between days

-217 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
5/14/2005 12:00 AM

WEDDING LOCATION
booked

Watch for yourself
here:

Personally, I'm horrified that NBC deleted the footage before airing it on the West Coast or for any replays. I also find it sad that this has become a media story, in which reporters like Soledad O'Brien spend time disputing Kanye's statement and talking about the distinction between race and SES.

Posted By

MCDO15

MCDO15

You got Served!

2833 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
Giorgio's at Fox Hill

Posted by lilacwine

Watch for yourself
here:

Personally, I'm horrified that NBC deleted the footage before airing it on the West Coast or for any replays. I also find it sad that this has become a media story, in which reporters like Soledad O'Brien spend time disputing Kanye's statement and talking about the distinction between race and SES.

thanks for the link... Kanye just lost some stock from me..talking about giving all he can give...he only gave 500,000. you are stinking stupid rich and you give half a mil?

Posted By

Ronkonkomonga

Ronkonkomonga

Spoiled by the HOV

-3300 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
10/16/2005 12:00 AM

WEDDING LOCATION

Posted by mikeysgirl

During the telethon Kanye West Just said "George Bush Does Not Like Black people!!!" on like air!!!!!! OMG!!! What a jerk!!

Clearly - Bush DOESN'T like black people... or middle class people, or military people, or old people, or non - ten gallon hat wearin' country folk - because he is ignorant.

If you can't tell by now that bush only likes people who tell him he is doing a great job or who give him cash to run things into the ground - than I truly feel sorry (well, more sorry for this country!)

seriously though - how could you not like Kanye - have you heard gold digger?!?!?

Posted By

heidla

heidla

5901 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION

Posted by MCDO15

to say it at this venue is wrong... yes, the response is slow but Bush admitted that and is working on it. i hate the fact that people are not worry about everything else that is going on and worry about the dead still trap in there attics trying to escape the flood or why these "black" ppl are acting a fool and trying to loot. yes, new orleans is 75% black. yes, most of the are middle to low class. i better evac could of been given for those who couldn't evacuate (this could be a lesson learned). not that i'm a stearotype but some of these people keep them selfs in proverty conditons. i saw an interview of a preson that just had a baby. she was complain that my baby this, my baby that. she is only 17 years old w/o a baby daddy. some people in this world dont want to do better in life. now with that said, i don't say these people don't deserve nothing but give the gov't a freaking break already. afterall, at the end, no matter who points figers at who, 1000's of people are dead and new orleans will never be the same. speaking of new orleans, does anybody think, any other city was effected? in other states/towns that are not affected in this manner, there is no help either. this is a diaster beyond anybody popraption. i dont expect anybody to handle this in a smooth manner.

there are too many people in this world to quick to judge and i blame everybody for not having a mind saying, people are dyeing due to mother nature. i want to help. help by donateing money cause eventully, this will need more after billions are spend in the coming weeks.

The problem I have is that it seems like all we do is give the gov't a break. Bush is re-elected even though he has horribly low approval ratings and most americans thought that the war in Iraq was being mishandled. I'm sorry, but we give our gov't huge breaks!!! People have only started really debating and getting angered after help was still not being provided after 4 days after the event. Give me a break!!!! Yes, Mother nature started it, but the slow response created a lot of the conditions we are seeing. Can we lay the blame at any ONE persons feet. Of course not, but let's not pretend that our gov't was prepared fot this type of situation.

Posted By

MCDO15

MCDO15

You got Served!

2833 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
Giorgio's at Fox Hill

Posted by heidla

The problem I have is that it seems like all we do is give the gov't a break. Bush is re-elected even though he has horribly low approval ratings and most americans thought that the war in Iraq was being mishandled. I'm sorry, but we give our gov't huge breaks!!! People have only started really debating and getting angered after help was still not being provided after 4 days after the event. Give me a break!!!! Yes, Mother nature started it, but the slow response created a lot of the conditions we are seeing. Can we lay the blame at any ONE persons feet. Of course not, but let's not pretend that our gov't was prepared fot this type of situation.

i said that... but the gov't is the only one that can fix this so lean back just a little bit why they put there best foot forward.

i blame the people and the gov't. alot of those people didnt' need to be there. a shame there are no numbers to cacluate how many actually left the city compared to those who stayed.

i blame the gov't for not being ready. 2 day response would of been great... 4 day resposnse cost many lives and emotions.

alot of people in america just look at New Orleasns and similar to the other post, there are other bad places out there in MIS, AL. to have about 20 sqaure miles of a city underwater .... its something i hope never to see. kinda reminded me of day after tomorrow with all that water in manhatten. very erie.....

i ugre people to put aside feelings and try and make a difference. despite who did what or who didn't do what... tons of people don't have a life, house, job...anything. nothing will change that.

Posted By

heidla

heidla

5901 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION

I understand what you are saying.

I also think that most of us(even though we are debating about the situation) have donated what we can to help.

Posted By

MCDO15

MCDO15

You got Served!

2833 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
Giorgio's at Fox Hill

Posted by heidla

I also think that most of us(even though we are debating about the situation) have donated what we can to help.

Posted By

heidla

heidla

5901 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION

Posted by MCDO15

Posted by heidla

Posted By

AndreaES

AndreaES

Board Fanatic

704 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
9/15/2007 2:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Backyard

I'm sorry, who is Kanye West?? Is he like some rap guy or something?? I understand his anger,and where he's coming from. However I think maybe he should've practiced his improved speech a little longer. He sounded a little dumb. However non-coherent his statements were they were also valid. Although I do agree with one of the other posts, that it's not just about race, it's about the poor. If this tragedy would've occurred a upper-middle or upper class neighborhood, help help would've been there immediately. But because it was mostly the poor left behind, George W took his sweet *** time cutting his umpteenth vacation short to basically do not enough. Putting his arm around a Mother from the devastated area and saying " everything will be OK" She should've turned around and said "HOW?" George W is just a not very good face man who likes to solve problems by putting bandaids on them and hoping for the best. One thing I do think was nessesary is the use of force against the looters. They have gotten progressively more dangerous and violent & most of them are now armed. This whole situation is tragic and sad, and our governments slow reaction only adds to the devastation.

Posted By

mikeysgirl

Board Fanatic

387 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
fox hollow-recom

Posted by JPC1125

The event he chose to air his comments. He can hate the Pres. all he wants but do it some where else!!!!!!

Posted By

akaMrsT

akaMrsT

Formally Mrs. T -aka no longer

1088 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
3/30/2006 6:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Westbury Manor

I did not see this but got a call about it and this post so I looked up the details.

link to article

Kanye West Rips Bush During NBC Telethon

It began, fittingly enough, with jazz from New Orleans natives Harry Connick Jr. and Wynton Marsalis. But "A Concert for Hurricane Relief," a heartfelt and dignified benefit aired on NBC and other networks last night (Sept. 2), took an unexpected turn thanks to the outspoken rapper Kanye West.

Appearing two-thirds through the program, he claimed "George Bush doesn't care about black people" and said America is set up "to help the poor, the black people, the less well-off as slow as possible."

The show, simulcast from New York on NBC, MSNBC, CNBC and Pax, was aired live to the East Coast, enabling the Grammy-winning rapper's outburst to go out uncensored. There was a several-second tape delay, but the person in charge "was instructed to listen for a curse word, and didn't realize [West] had gone off-script," said an NBC spokesperson.

West's comment about the president was cut from NBC's West Coast airing, which showed three hours later on tape.

Comedian Mike Myers was paired with West for a 90-second segment that began with Myers speaking of Katrina's devastation. Then, to Myers' evident surprise, West began a rant by saying, "I hate the way they portray us in the media. If you see a black family, it says they're looting. See a white family, it says they're looking for food."

While allowing that "the Red Cross is doing everything they can," West declared that government authorities are intentionally dragging their feet on aid to the Gulf Coast. Without getting specific, he added, "They've given them permission to go down and shoot us." After he stated, "George Bush doesn't care about black people," the camera cut away to comedian Chris Tucker.

Concluding the hour a few minutes later, host Matt Lauer noted, "emotions in this country right now are running very high. Sometimes that emotion is translated into inspiration, sometimes into criticism. We've heard some of that tonight. But it's still part of the American way of life." Then the entire ensemble performed "When the Saints Go Marching In."

In a statement, NBC said, "Kanye West departed from the scripted comments that were prepared for him, and his opinions in no way represent the views of the networks.

"It would be most unfortunate," the statement continued, "if the efforts of the artists who participated tonight and the generosity of millions of Americans who are helping those in need are overshadowed by one person's opinion."

During the show, viewers were encouraged to contribute to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund by phone or on the Web. Some 18 presenters performed musical numbers or gave information on the tragedy's huge scope.

Louisiana native Tim McGraw teared up as he told Lauer, "I know the citizens that weren't affected by this directly are gonna stand up and do good things for people." He sang two songs, then became the first of the evening's stars to sign a Gibson Les Paul Special guitar to be auctioned online.

Faith Hill, a Mississippi native, sang "There Will Come a Time," with the inspiring lyrics, "The darkness will be gone, the weak shall be strong. Hold on to your faith." New Orleans son Aaron Neville performed Randy Newman's soulful "Louisiana 1927" with the memorable chorus, "they're trying to wash us away, they're trying to wash us away."

New York governor George Pataki presented the Red Cross with a check for $2.5 million and promised, "This great state will do far more."

****I am not sure how Kanye enunciated his speech so if he did sound like he is not educated - maybe it's because he was is a horrible car accident and had to have his mouth WIRED SHUT and his face RECONSTRUCTED I have never heard him speak so I am not sure if he normally speaks more clearly.

Then again, he likely did not practice his "speech" knowing he only has a specific amount of time to read what was scripted. He probably spoke purely out of anger - which probably led to him sounding like he is not educated or "stupid" This is all my assumption though.

But I digress. As far as his comments, we ALL KNOW that leaving people trapped with no food, no water, living amongst dead and decaying bodies and probably sleeping in their own feces (in hospital beds) would NOT happen in NYC. If this were happening in Chappaqua help would have arrived within HOURS.

The media is portraying the Black Americans as stealing food, water and supplies (one woman had diapers for her baby) and I have personally seen news report with White Americans looting but they are said to have "found" food, water and supplies.

I do hope that this is not a race issue but more of a class issue. Not that it is more acceptable to allow the poor to live like animals but at least it would make me, an African American woman, feel like our government is not still treating African Americans like it's 1795 instead of 2005

Bush made some comment about being satisfied with the efforts - and this was two days ago when thousands were still trapped with no food, water or medical supplies. He has since retracted that statement and said it was unacceptable and the efforts will be doubled.

Bush also made a statement about rebuilding Trent Lott's home - this was a few days ago as well. People are starving, drowning and trapped but he was concerned about Trent Lott's second (or third) home in Mississippi (or wherever the house is)

When 9/11 happened, we had help within hours. I was 6 blocks away and the police, fire departments and even military all showed up within hours.

My friend's parents are trapped in a hospital. Her mom is a pharmacist and could not evacuate. The rest of her family did leave. But her parents are in the hospital with bodies piled up in the hallways

In this situation it has taken damn near a week to get them help. And they had the nerve to bring in portable toilets to the stadium - 5 days later and now that most of the people are evacuated

Whether it's about race or class does not matter.......either way it's unacceptable for this to happen in America.

MESSAGE EDITED9/3/2005 4:39:07 PM

POSTED 9/3/05 3:50 PM

Posted By

SomethingBlu

SomethingBlu

Enjoying the journey...

-745 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
5/27/2005 3:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Jericho Terrace - A+

I didn't see the telethon and I'm not afan of Kanye (although what girl can't love "Diamonds are forever"? ) but I will say this...on a visit to London not so long ago, Bush, our President, made the following statement to Tony Blair: "Oh, you have black people too?"...it was then reported that his statement implied "the problem of black people" but again, this isn't about race.
I do strongly believe that it's about class...rich vs. poor. The reason why they couldn't live is because they had nowhere to go. Ignorance could have cost them their lives...but if you live, breath and eat poverty and violence you would also think differently. Have any of you had to evacuate your homes because of a hurricane? I have, and it's not the easiest decision to make. You have to abandon everything you have - leave it behind knowing that you may never see it again. To some people that was too much because they worked really hard to have so little. And I bet the ones that left are regretting that decision becuase no one deserves to be trapped and not fed, given water or have to see and smell feces with thousands of strangers.

Posted By

enjft

enjft

I am married!

8722 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
9/2/2007 3:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Chateau Briand

Posted by TimmysGirl

Posted by mikeysgirl

Preach IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By

Goldi1021

Goldi1021

Growing a miracle in my belly!

12528 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
2/18/2006 7:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Temple Avodah

Maybe my thoughts are simplistic at best but here it goes....

I am not a Kanye West fan. I do feel after watching the video, that he was not well thought out but he WAS sincere. He sounded choked up and genuine but could have conveyed his message better had he chosen his words more carefully. Instead, he may have alienated people of ALL races.

It concerns me that it has become an issue of race. Yes it s u c k s that so many people were killed or affected by this disaster. Yes it happens to be that this city is poor an predominantly African-American. Perhaps Kanye should have viewed this as more of an AMERICAN problem instead of saying "our people". Americans are EVERYONE's people. Many tears are shed up here and all over the country by ALL people of ALL races who feel so badly about this. I know I cried a few myself.

This is one of the most horrific acts of G-d I have ever seen. But people should NOT be surprised that the American government isnt quick to react to crises. They sat by idly about 65+ years ago when MY ancestors were being eradicated and THAT could have been prevented. It has happened many times since then and will continue to happen unless we get strong people in office.

MESSAGE EDITED9/3/2005 9:32:47 PM

POSTED 9/3/05 9:32 PM

FROM SOMETHING BLUE... TO SOMETHINGS NEW! Personalize your wedding with the Long Island Weddings Shop.