NEW Massapequa

Mary

"I'm Addicted"

1114 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
11/17/2001 10:00 AM

WEDDING LOCATION
Land's End

I am looking into information about Massapequa, in particular, the school districts. I have seen three different school districts: Massapequa, Plainedge and Farmingdale. Feel free to FM me if you like.

Posted By

NEW Re: Massapequa

jennbaby

jennbaby

2 months till ARUBA!!

29412 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
5/17/2003 2:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
The Coral House

I love Massapequa!!!!!

MESSAGE EDITED10/6/2003 11:34:22 PM

POSTED 6/12/03 10:16 AM

Posted By

starhead

starhead

"I'm Addicted"

1129 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
3/30/2003 12:00 AM

WEDDING LOCATION
Pt. Jeff Country Club

We just bought a house in Massapequa Park, which is school district 1 (massapequa), very good school district.

Posted By

verdila

verdila

"I'm Addicted"

1042 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
9/14/2002 3:30 PM

I grew up in Massapequa, family is still there and I was married in a church there on Merrick Rd. . District 23 is the best - those are Massapequa schools - thats where I went. Farmingdale and Plainedge are different school districts. They are north of sunrise hwy. closer to Rte 107, Southern State pkwy and hempstead turnpike areas. Massapequa district 23 includes I think 5 or 6 elementary schools, 2 juniors now including Berner and definitely only 1 HS: massapequa HS on Merrick Rd.

Feel free to FM me.

MESSAGE EDITED6/12/2003 10:41:45 AM

POSTED 6/12/03 10:35 AM

Posted By

starhead

starhead

"I'm Addicted"

1129 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
Pt. Jeff Country Club

I meant school district #23. Duh.

Posted By

bridetobe04

Board Fanatic

305 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
May 15 2004

WEDDING LOCATION
Riviera

i grew up and still live at home in Massapequa. A great school district. I went to public school all throughout high school. great place to live!

Posted By

starhead

starhead

"I'm Addicted"

1129 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
Pt. Jeff Country Club

I love hearing stuff like that - I want in my new house so bad!!

Posted By

Jenn Z.

Board Fanatic

306 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
7/6/2001

WEDDING LOCATION
Fox Hollow

I grew up in Massapequa(SD#23) and am now raising my kids here. I love it!!!!!!

Posted By

Paiz

"I'm Addicted"

1076 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
Apr 26 2003

WEDDING LOCATION
Long Island

I grew up in Massapequa as well and went to public school throughout. It's a great town with great schools.

I think, IMO, it's better than Farmingdale and Plainedge. A friend of mine is a Guidance Counselor for Farmingdale middle school, and I hear these horror stories all the time. They happen in Massapequa, too, but I get the info direct about Farmingdale.

Posted By

VickiC

VickiC

Something for Everyone!

2395 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
8/18/2002 3:30 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
The Meadow Club

Yep, Massapequa School distrcit #23 is better than Farmingdale or Plainedge, but Farmingdale and Plainedge are by no means awful school districts.

Newsday does Report Cards on schools so you can see how each district compares.

Posted By

yabbobay

yabbobay

Tolerance

14696 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
7/14/2002 12:00 AM

I would say that Massapequa edges out the other 2...as school districts (more money on the water)...but just be aware that there are some MAJOR union problems there...the teachers have threatened to strike a few times...

Posted By

VickiC

VickiC

Something for Everyone!

2395 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
The Meadow Club

Just found the report card link for you to check out.

Newsday School Report Cards

Posted By

Teri

Teri

Mommy to Emily :)

5488 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
10/5/2002 4:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Old Field Club, Stonybrook

Erica - any idea what type of problems the union's having? It's surprising to hear considering how well teachers were paid on LI - unless it's something else?
We're looking at houses in the same area - in SD 23.

Posted By

ILT1221

Be Happy

2201 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
12/1/2002 12:00 AM

WEDDING LOCATION
Long Island

Vicki thank you for the link. It is really helpful!

Posted By

christine1221

christine1221

Maria's Mommy

2237 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
12/21/2002 12:00 AM

WEDDING LOCATION
Hamlet Golf & CC

Just a word of caution Vicki. As a LI public school teacher, I can tell you that those report cards are not the whole picture of a school district. What you see is a very small piece of the puzzle. Not to say that it isn't valuable info, its just not everything. The scores (in paraticular) that you'll look at will not be the most up to date .... they report on those children in the 4th & 8th grade who took the test LAST YEAR. Some school districts also put a lot of their kids into special ed, so their scores won't be reported b/c they are excluded.

The best thing you could ever do is to tour the school (if you've found a house in the area) yourself. Any principle will be more than happy to make an appt to do this! You'd be amazed what you can tell just walking around a building.

That said, here's how I'd rank those districts ....

Massapequa (great schools!)
Plainedge
Farmingdale (my dad just retired from the HS & can tell you stories about what's going on there now.)

Good luck!

Posted By

Sassyz75

Sassyz75

My Chihuahua!!!!!

4840 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
1/31/2003 12:00 AM

WEDDING LOCATION
Carlyle on The Green

I went all through Massapequa School System- apart for the snotty and spoiled children- it's a great school district! I had wonderful teachers and lots of well-funded extra-curricular activities.

Posted By

Teri

Teri

5488 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION

sassy - LOL - not for nothing but I think MOST of LI's high schools are filled with snotty and spoiled children...myself included!
I went to school on the north shore so I have tons of first hand experience, unfortunately

Posted By

Sassyz75

Sassyz75

My Chihuahua!!!!!

4840 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
Carlyle on The Green

I know, was a little joke- it's been getting out of hand lately- My brother goes to school in Commack and I have to tell you what he gets away with makes me sick because the school is always afraid they will get sued! It's disgusting!

And you know what- it doesn't stop- my Step Dad gave a kid a great he deserved (a D) in college- because he didn't turn in assignments... the kid (hi, he's 22) his parents are SUING the College! I can't deal...

Posted By

Teri

Teri

5488 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION

I'm not a teacher, but have many friends who are, and they HATE the LI kids and crap that the schools put up with - it's pathetic. Exactly what you're talking about, and one of my friends doesn't put up with their crap and that's when he hears from the whiny parents!

If my HSer was failing class (or in trouble some way), I'd first look at the child, and then the teacher - not the other way around. That's how it was like when we were growing up......

Posted By

Sassyz75

Sassyz75

My Chihuahua!!!!!

4840 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
Carlyle on The Green

I know- but now my brother gets a D in Math and it's the teacher's fault somehow- not the fact that my Step Mom and Dad are ONLY NOW paying attention to the kids study habits.. he's in 10th grade now- so it's too late and they think he's gonna get into a good school? HELLO!

It's unreal... I really think that parents don't spend enough time with their children- then when their children don't do well they see it as their own failure- and thus take it out on teachers, etc- not the kids.. because then it would be their fault.

Posted By

VickiC

VickiC

Something for Everyone!

2395 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
The Meadow Club

Christine - yes, I know that these only give a small percentage, but I think overall, it shows how a school does. I think it's a good base to get an idea of which school district is better than some of the others. And I completely agree that you should tour the schools to see what you will learn there. First hand experience is always the best.

Besides, I'm guessing that someone always knows someone who knows someone that is in that school district anyway.

Posted By

Elizabeth

It's An Obsession

3292 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
3/17/2001 12:00 AM

WEDDING LOCATION
Milleridge Cottage

We just bought a house in Massapequa Park (closing next month!) and from all our research, you want to be in SD #23 definitely!! All we hear are great things about the area. Good luck in your search.

Posted By

Mary

"I'm Addicted"

1114 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
11/17/2001 10:00 AM

WEDDING LOCATION
Land's End

Elizabeth: Is your house in SD 23?

Posted By

swags1016

So in love

11685 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
7/26/2003 12:30 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
East Wind- The Estate- A+

MESSAGE EDITED8/17/2003 11:25:53 AM

POSTED 6/12/03 5:47 PM

Posted By

Adrianna

Adrianna

Board Fanatic

485 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
5/30/2004 1:30 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Watermill

I grew up in Massapequa Park but went was in the Farmingdale school district and had friends that went to Massapequa. I wouldnt say Massapequa is better than Farmingdale and I wouldnt say Farmingdale is better than Massapequa, stuff that goes on in Farmingdale HS goes on in Massapequa.I loved all the teachers I had and I had the best couselor at Farmingdale, she really helped get through tough times when my parents were having problems. I think the best thing to do is go to the schools yourself, and ask the principal if you can sit through some classes and get a feel of how everything is done.

Christine, Who was your father, I might have had him

FROM SOMETHING BLUE... TO SOMETHINGS NEW! Personalize your wedding with the Long Island Weddings Shop.

$65.00

ea366

ea366
$119.00