Photo Booths - Flip Books

Posted By

NEW Friday night vs. Saturday night

crisy211

Board Fanatic

581 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
6/28/2013 6:00 PM

Originally I was dead set on having a Saturday night wedding and have found a couple venues that are in our price range but nothing that has wowed me. FH and I are now considering a Friday night. I saw on the post about compromises that this was a big one for a lot of people! So I need some input please! If most of our guests were local to Long Island we would def do a Friday night. Our biggest worry is that FH is from upstate (way up there by Canada!) and we have lived in 6 different states between the two of us since after college, so more than half of our 200 person guest list is traveling from out of state or way upstate! A lot of people have told us that the guests who want to come will find a way to be there...but this still worries us! So, is it worth it to sacrifice a Saturday night? Is it really that big of a price difference? TIA!!!

Posted By

NEW Re: Friday night vs. Saturday night

MrsHeffToBe

MrsHeffToBe

Board Fanatic

279 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
6/8/2012 6:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
The Riviera at Massapequa

My wedding is on a Friday night and it starts at 6:30. We too have a lot of out of towners from as far up as Rochester to as far down as Florida! Not one guest has complained yet about the wedding being on a Friday night. It's a very special occasion and I am sure you guests would find a way to make it to your wedding regardless of what day it is on. So long as you give them ample notice and also put a block on a hotel, I don't think it should be a problem. HTH!

Posted By

TheLadyJ

TheLadyJ

Got it right this time!

1359 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
9/14/2012 3:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Riviera

For us, a Friday night was $11 cheaper per person, and our minimum was 10 people less. Combine that with the fact we had a better chance of vendors being available on a Friday....and it made sense for us. We're saving over $3,000 with it being Friday.

So far I've only had one person comment on it being a Friday, and that person pretty much is notorious for saying rude things.

My sister said she's been to a few Friday weddings, and it's nice to have the party and still have the whole weekend afterwards. She said for Saturday weddings, you basically dedicate most the weekend to the wedding.

It's true, people who want to come WILL find a way. And you just need to be prepared that the "no's" might be a little higher than others.

Posted By

Bride2012

2 Blessed 2 B Stressed

1067 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
9/1/2012 12:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Booked

I think it is a pretty big difference. Or maybe even a Sunday night? Thats usually cheapier than a Friday night. What about a Saturday day wedding? That would give people time to travel. I personally think the people who want to be there will find a way to be there!

Posted By

crisy211

Board Fanatic

581 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

Posted by TheLadyJ

My sister said she's been to a few Friday weddings, and it's nice to have the party and still have the whole weekend afterwards. She said for Saturday weddings, you basically dedicate most the weekend to the wedding.

FH said that too!!

Posted By

crisy211

Board Fanatic

581 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

Posted by TheLadyJ

Combine that with the fact we had a better chance of vendors being available on a Friday....

I didn't know that...do they book up faster on Saturdays?

Posted By

robnlauren78

Board Fanatic

267 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
7/7/2012 6:00 PM

Saturday night was one thing that we were set on from the start. Yes Friday night will be cheaper but I personally didn't want to inconvenience guests for the sake of my pocketbook. But you have to do whats best for you in the end, if your guests want to be there they will figure out a way if possible, just make sure to block rooms early so they can figure out a plan.

Posted By

MarryTheNight24

MarryTheNight24

MARRIED!!!!

1617 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
9/21/2013 3:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
The Woodlands

I was always dead set on a Saturday, but once you see the price difference you start to think about all the extra money you'll have to use on other things for the wedding. Since you are worried about traveling guests, maybe consider a Sunday night on a holiday weekend where everyone has off Monday?

Posted By

ElizabethAndDan

Board Enthusiast

53 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
4/6/2013 6:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Check

For me personally, the tough part of a Friday wedding is taking the day off from work if I need to travel to it (I'm a school psych. and my vacation days are holiday breaks from school). BUT if I am very close to the person then I would find a way to work it out. So I think the only thing you are sacrificing is having people attend that you aren't super close to that can't get off of work.

I am having my wedding on a Saturday night. We had our engagement party on the Sunday before Columbus Day and that worked out really well-- so I second the bride's opinion who mentioned the Sunday on a holiday weekend. Ultimately what matters is what you and your fiance want and what works for you two!

Posted By

Pinkisles

Pinkisles

"I'm Addicted"

1289 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
3/15/2013 3:30 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Bridgeview Yacht Club

Decided to go with a Friday because it was $10 per person cheaper, and there would be no wedding before or after mine, so we basially have the whole venue all day.

Posted By

halfbaked

halfbaked

Mrs. O'Connor!

23482 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
5/14/2010 5:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Jericho Terrace- A++++++++

We had a ton of OOT guests at our Friday night wedding. And when I say OOT, I don't mean Jersey or even Canada. We had guests come in from Ireland, England, California, North Carolina, Florida, etc.! It is true that the people who want to be there will find a way. Besides, I'm sure a lot of the OOT guests would have been taking off on a Friday to travel anyway!

ETA: And personally, I like Friday weddings better anyway. I feel like it's a great kick off to the weekend! Everyone who shows up is ready to party!

MESSAGE EDITED4/11/2012 11:39:35 AM

POSTED 4/11/12 11:38 AM

Posted By

SoontobeLT

SoontobeLT

can't wait to be Mrs.T <3

1042 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
9/7/2012 6:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Crest Hollow CC

Our wedding is on a Friday night and it's essentially a destination wedding, as many of our guests don't live on LI. It was a better choice for FH and my situation and the people that want to be there will make it happen. If it's in the evening, I don't think it's too much to ask of people. Maybe some people won't be able to make the ceremony but could still be there for the reception. People will definitely make it work if it's for you. Good luck!

Posted By

Rivera2be

Rivera2be

"I'm Addicted"

1515 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
3/25/2012 12:00 AM

WEDDING LOCATION
Check

I say pick what really works best for you and FH. The people who want to be at your wedding will be there!

I think everyone loves a Sat. night wedding, but at our hall it was almost double the price pp. A Sat. afternoon is a good comprimise as well if you're open to that.
Otherwise I think Friday or even earlier Sunday weddings are fine. We chose a Sunday twilight wedding over Friday as we had alot of work people coming and just felt it will be easier for them.

Posted By

NEW .

vppjzv

"I'm Addicted"

2750 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
9/6/2013

MESSAGE EDITED11/10/2012 1:18:00 PM

POSTED 4/11/12 1:05 PM

Posted By

FutureMrsSweeney

FutureMrsSweeney

It was wonderful!

1539 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
3/16/2013 7:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
BOOKED!

This was also an issue for FH and I. Originally, we were going to do an Friday night wedding to save on cost. But then we started thinking about all of our out of town guests and we didn’t think it would be fair to them. They would have to take 2 days off work (Thursday and Friday) to arrive on Thursday night or fly in early on Friday (still take 1 day off work). If we did a Saturday night wedding, they only needed to take 1 day off and arrive on Friday or arrive early Saturday (and not take any days off). All of my family is out of state and we figured that a Saturday night would be more convenient for everyone traveling. We did a good job negotiating with our hall and the price difference between a Friday night and Saturday night wedding was less than $10 per person (I think the difference was $6 per person). We also increased our minimum to get a better deal.

Posted By

Jax1127

Board Fanatic

424 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
6/1/2013 8:00 PM

Posted by robnlauren78

Saturday night was one thing that we were set on from the start. Yes Friday night will be cheaper but I personally didn't want to inconvenience guests for the sake of my pocketbook. But you have to do whats best for you in the end, if your guests want to be there they will figure out a way if possible, just make sure to block rooms early so they can figure out a plan.

This is how I feel- i don't want people to have to take off from work to come to my wedding and put them situations that could (although probably unlikely) jeopardize their jobs.

Posted By

pixietina

pixietina

Perfect Fairytale Wedding!

7731 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
5/4/2012 12:30 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Jericho Terrace - Oak Room

I am having a friday day wedding!!!! I have some family flying in from far away and its not a problem. It was $10-15 cheaper than a saturday night and $5 less compared to friday night. As long as your guests have advance notice than they can swing it.

Posted By

cdh2672

cdh2672

Happy Wife :-)

1867 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
4/28/2012 6:30 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Three Village Inn

I think that it's a personal preference and whatever you decide, stick to your decision. People have to figure out how to get there in time, etc... Friday night weddings are very common now.

How many times have we all had to go to weddings and figure things out on our own?? ....same goes for shuttle buses, rides from hotel, etc... we are all adults and can plan accordingly.

If you decide on a Friday, don't worry about it, do what's right for you and your FH Just my opinion!!

Posted By

mrs2012

mrs2012

Board Fanatic

809 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
11/23/2012 2:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
De Seversky Mansion - A++++++++

we picked friday because it was cheaper and we had a lower guest guarentee. we ended up picking the friday after thanksgiving since our guests will be around for the holiday. holiday weekends are good since some people wont mind traveling as much!

Posted By

tara5533

tara5533

2 more weeks

1315 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
9/7/2012 6:30 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Holiday Inn Plainview NY

I am having a Friday night wedding it is 75 a plate for a Saturday it was 100-150 a plate it starts at 630pm so hopefully gives everyone enough time

Posted By

Jax1127

Board Fanatic

424 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
6/1/2013 8:00 PM

Posted by tara5533

I am having a Friday night wedding it is 75 a plate for a Saturday it was 100-150 a plate it starts at 630pm so hopefully gives everyone enough time

My problem is most of my friends and fam work jn manhattan and don't get home til 8, that's why I feel like I need to have a Saturday night or else I'll prob have a pretty empty wedding lol

Posted By

LisaReyes

LisaReyes

I love my husband!

2117 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
3/1/2013 2:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Venetian Yacht Club

I'm in the same situation! I even have some girl friends in Canada and Seattle that are traveling all the way for the wedding. The people who truly care will be willing to miss a day or two of work for you special day! Some even preferred it because it gave them an extra day to make it home. There are exceptions (people who have jobs that will NOT allow them to miss a friday.) I would talk to the people you NEED to be there (family, bridal party, close friends) to make sure they can make it. If they can do it - book a Friday! I did! :)

Posted By

Kristin31613

we did it!

2486 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
3/16/2013 3:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Estate at East Wind

I chose Sat night bc I know that I get annoyed with Fri night weddings. Do I go? Of course but being a teacher and having a venue a bit away from work, I was also concerned about my work friends being able to attend if it was a Fri night. One of my good friends is getting married this Oct on a Fri and I am in the wedding party so I have to take off regardless and wouldn't think twice about it.

It's your preference! Like everyone else said, those that mean something to you, will be there!

FROM SOMETHING BLUE... TO SOMETHINGS NEW! Personalize your wedding with the Long Island Weddings Shop.
b-1502

b-1502
$170.00