Post New Topic

Endo question

Kerrycec Posted:

Endo question

Ok, I've posted this all over lifamilies, maybe you chicas could help

Hey Ladies,

This is the first time I'm posting about this issue. I have severe Graves Disease (Hyperactive thryoid). My levels are 50% higher than a normal case of Hyperactive Thryoid. So I just got back a little while ago from my doctors appointment and we are switching my meds over from Tapazole to PTU. Supposedly this is safer and prevents misscarriages & fertility issues. Not that I want to get preganant now, but probably within two years. Here's the 3 option and there goods and bads

Iodine Treatment (no pregnancy for one year, if so cause skull damage to the baby)

Surgery (to remove the thyroid and deal with hypoactive concerns)

PTU (meds that I would take a high dosage before pregnancy and a low doseage during pregnancy and for the first 3 months of birth, but can cause miscarriage and infertility as well as weekly blood tests to check my levels and constantly change my dosage)

I'm taking 7 tapazoles now, hate this stupid thing, but my question is this,

have any of you ladies had thyroid issues?
which method would you do?

HELP, kinda freaked out!!!
Kerry
prunepie Posted:

Re: Endo question

hi! i am not a newlywed yet..i was here lurking..but i saw your post. i am hypo so i dont know much about hyper... BUT have you gone to www.thyroid.about.com?? there are message boards there with some reallllllly smart people on them... plus a huge list of recommended ny doctors.

just thought i would share this info.. good luck !
waterspout4 Posted:

Re: Endo question

My docotrs were checking my thyroid, but it came out okay. They found out that I have a pituitary tumor instead and I was faced with 3 decisions too: Radiation, surgery or medication. My DH and I decided on surgery so we didn't have to deal with how much medicine or radiation. (They've tried so much medicine on me that I said STOP to all of it.) Or, oops, we're pregnant, now we can't do anything. We thought surgery was a more final solution. Now the doctors say we can wait for it.

But you have to weigh all the options and make a list of pros and cons. Only the two of you can make the decision. Good luck!!
LaurenluvsTJ Posted:

Re: Endo question

Kerry, am sorry but the only experience I have with hyperthyroidism was with my cat, and I am sure that wouldn't help you at all.
If it was me, I would probably choose the iodine treatment - as long as pregnancy would be safe after a year, or the surgery.
But, its your decision - you should talk to your Dr. and DH and weigh all the pros and cons.
MrsD06 Posted:

Re: Endo question

My MIL has graves disease and I know when she was diagnosed she found some message baords online and it seemed like a lot of women who had their thyroid's removed had problems afterwords...not sure if she was just looking at people her age or not, tho..

Reply to this topic

Log in to reply or quote a post.