Sooo I am reallyyyy upset bc of the situation FH and I are in right now..
The economy suxx and I am going back to school for my Masters so its really hard for me to find a stable and decent paying job, esp one that works around my school hours.
We are starting to seriiously think about postponing our wedding. We have gone through this b4 but decided to wait in hopes that it would all work out. However with each payment we make to the hall we are digging a deeper hole or denial!!! Everything is so expensive and nobody is able to help us out with costs of wedding, setting up an apartment etc.
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can relate or knows someone who had to push their wedding back. I am afraid to lose our money we already paid to the hall. Thank God we havent booked any other vendors so the hall is the only concern.
Do you know if it is possible to apply the money to a later date/alter the date in the contract... any advice will help. thanks3
Im getting Married
Posted:
Member since
Re: Advice needed...
Contact your hall..I have heard some people say as long as you are not 'canceling' your event just moving it you don't lose your $$. It just may be a bit more per person than you originally nego.
Call them the worst they can say is that you may lose a part of it but I doubt it. It's better to know your options then to keep worrying about them.
GL
vickyp0o1215
Posted:
Member since
Re: Advice needed...
Either me or my fiance will call by tom and speak w/our banquet manager. I just dont even know what date I would want to chose.. its soo difficult! I just wish that vendors all werent so expensive. Truthfully thus far everything is more expensive than Ive bargained for.
Amandat00487
Posted:
Member since
Re: Advice needed...
I actually had/have the same situation going on. I'm starting my master's in September and had originally set the wedding date for June of 2010 but realized it just wouldn't be feasible, so we pushed it back to 2011. I'm sure if you had to push the wedding back it wouldn't be a problem where you are having the reception as long as that date is available and you give them plenty of notice. Hopefully the economy will improve sometime soon...
vickyp0o1215
Posted:
Member since
Re: Advice needed...
Posted by Amandat00487
I actually had/have the same situation going on. I'm starting my master's in September and had originally set the wedding date for June of 2010 but realized it just wouldn't be feasible, so we pushed it back to 2011. I'm sure if you had to push the wedding back it wouldn't be a problem where you are having the reception as long as that date is available and you give them plenty of notice. Hopefully the economy will improve sometime soon...
I trully hope so!! I actually called the hall and they told me that they charge a $500 fee for a date change. I am pretty surprised bc I have heard great things about the managers at JT and that they will work with you if diff situations and all.. The date is still 23 months away and Im sure if we changed by the end of this month they would book it ASAP! So why would they charge $500?? We have paid $3000 so far so I guess its better than losing it all by canceling ! Ugh its just so frustrating
And they also said that the longer we wait the fee goes up so we might get charged more then 500
Im getting Married
Posted:
Member since
Re: Advice needed...
Sorry to hear that...I agree I would think that with that much time they would be able to rebook. In the end maybe they will throw something in to cover the $500 you might lost.
GL
JessNicole7EM
Posted:
Member since
Re: Advice needed...
I'm in a very similar situation as you.
I'm working a low paying job and starting Grad school next week. I've been paying back my loans for my undergrad the last year and I wasn't able to save any money for this wedding. (when we first booked it was over 2 years away.. now it's a year and 5 months)
The only plus is that since I'm going back to school my loan payments stop - that frees up around $900 a month which I now plan to start putting in our wedding account.
Before I decided to go back to grad school I didn't see how paying for the wedding would be feasible. I'm scared enough about going back to school (which I never wanted to do after I got my bachelors over a year ago but couldn't get a good job without the masters) but now I have my ENTIRE wedding riding on the fact that I'm in school and working full time. so I'm just a teeny bit stressed out. lol My fiance just got a new job too and he's not working a full 40 hours yet so he's not really able to help because of his bills and such. My mom bought my dress, other than that she said maybe they could help with little things along the way but so far nothing but the dress but I didn't even expect that so I'm grateful.
As far as negotiating with the hall.. Why don't you go down in person (its ALWAYS better to go in person than on the phone because you become more of a person with a real problem and not just a voice on the end of the line you can hang up on - trust me on that, at my job we deal with that all the time and the people whom actually show up always get a better deal - sad but true) and tell them you're thinking of cancelling - they don't want to lose all the potential money they'd be getting from you - maybe they could work with you more.
sorry I wrote a novel but I hope that helped :) and feel free to fm me anytime.