canceling Burtons?
Re: canceling Burtons?
Honestly, my guess is that you lose the $50.00. Did Sugar give you the same price as Burtons. Just curious as to why since I also booked Burtons.
Re: canceling Burtons?
Not at all the same price. She's higher. But really sounds enthused and excited about designing flowers. I don't get that vibe from Burtons. I am actually a little sorry that I booked with them. I was so concerned about cost and now feel that I might be 'cheesing' out with them. Burtons gave me $3200 - Sugar was $5000 - but she can only do low centerpieces for that cost - which I would be fine with if she's as good as she sounds. I don't know - a little confused....and definitely sweating the small stuff!
Re: canceling Burtons?
lisat
Do you have pix of your flowers? And can anybody think of a creative way to find out what I lose if I cancel? I am not 100% and I don't want to plant that seed if I decide to stick with them.
Re: lisat
I guess everyone has to feel comfortable, but I can't imagine anyone better then Burton's. After all the work they did for my family and friends and everything I have read the last few months I don't understand how anyone could have second thoughts.
Re: lisat
I wouldnt give your name when you call.. just call and ask what their cancelation policy is.. they dont have to know who you are...say you are thinking about booking them but want to know what happens if you need to cancel will you loose your deposit......i booked burtons for my wedding last year and then had to cancel and they just kept the 50.00 and that was it.. but things could have changed so i would call
re:lisat
Brit03 - I know you are a major fan of this vendor. And I am glad you had such a great experience. I am just very concerned about the fullness and the quality. There is no website, and I don't understand the 'contract'. I am supposed to make an appointment in September to pick the flowers and to be perfectly honest, I don't trust that I am going to get what I want. This board is a place to be frank, and I think it's necessary that we all realize we need to get things WRITTEN down for us to guarantee a service. I don't like 'any flowers, any style' scrawled on my contract. I cannot tell you how many times I specified my bouquet flower and they would NOT write it down. Looking back, I wish I had been bolder and had spoken my mind. Maybe I wouldn't be re-considering now. Maybe you can send me some pictures of all these friends and family weddings that Burton's has done. Maybe that could help us all out.
Re: Bride02
Thanks for that information Bride02 - I will do just that!
Re: canceling Burtons?
re: July Bride
You are SO right. Shoot. And I remember when I booked them, I asked John - what happens if I give you the $50 now and decide to go with something else. And he told me they book quickly, and I should leave the deposit - and that I would just be out 50 bucks if I went elsewhere. Now I am looking at the contract - and that wasn't true! I am getting very annoyed with this now.....
re: July Bride
Jenny.. how much do you loose?? if its a % of what the total cost is,.. i would change everything.. go there and cancel most of your flowers and leave somethings, and then cancel from that....unless the policy says that its a % of what you originally wanted....i know it seems like lot but if your not happy there than its worth it....Do what you feel you want to do... its important for you to be happy that day...
re: July Bride
It's 10% of the total order + $35 service charge. And it says that 'no verbal agreements will be honored. Only written agreements which appear on the face of the contract'. Which means all my discussion about ranunculas and white on white theme could be completely not honored. I think my decision is made. I think I am going to meet with Sugar and just eat the cost if I decide to go with her.. I will give Burton's one final try - if they will write down exactly what I am getting and how 'full' everything will be, then I will stick with it. If not, I'll know it's not the place for me.
re: July Bride
Good luck.. let us know how you make out there..
re: July Bride
I certainly will. I hope I am just over-reacting here!
re: Jenny
I think you should call ASAP. I think the sooner you take care of this the better. By the way, I was so dissapointed when I found that Sugar Magnolias was booked on my date. She does alot of work at my reception place. Luckily she recommended someone she works with that I am happy with. Good luck with this situation and let us know what happens.
re: Jenny
Cindy - what do you think I should say? I called them earlier this morning to find out what would happen if we cancelled the reception flowers (we might be getting married in a church in NYC). He told me no problem and to just let him know. Interestingly enough, after this post I started, my assistant called me to tell me that they called again......I haven't yet called him back. I feel like I should meet with Sugar first but my appt isn't until the 9th of June!
re: Jenny
re: Jenny
Michele - THANK YOU. I need all the feedback I can get!