Post New Topic

Don't know what to do

eoconnell09 Posted:

Don't know what to do

Okay, so we were planning on booking with Verbena today as our florist. I checked my emails today and unfortunately another couple booked her on the spot FOR THE SAME DAY!!

For those of you that don't know, Verbena usually only does one wedding at a time. I got an email from them stating that they feel confident they can do both weddings anyway since our centerpieces only require very little setup with loose petals and leaves.

Being that she has never done two weddings at a time, I am unsure if I want to book her now....I really would love to have her as a vendor, but worry that I might get screwed in the long run....I don't know what to do to ensure that everything will go over smoothly.

Also, now I would like to negotiate a few things in my contract to see if maybe she would throw in something for free due to the inconvenience....let me know what you think.....HELP!!!!!
PreshusSmurf Posted:

Re: Don't know what to do

i'm not sure why she would throw anything in for you?

someone beat you to the punch, loved her work enough to book on the spot .... its not her fault that it took you too long to make the decision. she is running a business, her goal is to make a living. should she have not let the other couple book because you *might* have been interested in booking with her?
eoconnell09 Posted:

Re: Don't know what to do

No, I am not saying that at all....I certainly don't think that she should have skipped out on booking with someone else, but now we may not book with her....not because we don't love her work or the price but because she has NEVER done two weddings.

Since we would be the second ones to book that day and because our centerpieces can't be done ahead of time and don't require as much time as the other's, I worry that we may get screwed somehow in the long run.....throwing something in, like not adding tax or not charging us for the cake accents which were thrown in from other companies to begin with might solidify the deal with us....it wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker if she didn't either, but companies are constantly negotiating with us to get our business, so it doesn't hurt to ask....

Main thing is that I need to know other's opinions on deciding to stick with them anyway. We only met with her a few days ago....the other couple came in the day after us!
GinaZ Posted:

Re: Don't know what to do

Always follow your gut. BUT, if you really love her work and price and have read positive reviews on them, then im sure there is nothing to worry about! Florists often do more than one wedding in a day! I think its very common- you prolly wont be able to get anything thrown in, but asking never hurts!

eoconnell09 Posted:

Re: Don't know what to do

Thank you....I asked my fiance and he said that he will let me know later today when we meet. They aren't open today anyway so I do have some time to decide....I think we will end up going with her anyway. The florist is the last vendor we have to book, and I researched a lot of florists.

Although I only met with them and one other florist, I had a gut feeling that we would end up with Verbena even before we met with Jen. She is wonderful to work with and has a lot of creative genius....plus her prices are great and she uses organic flowers!

I just worry that she might be spreading herself a little too thin doing two weddings the day after Thanksgiving being that it is the first time that she has ever had to do that....I just want to know that we will get the same attention and dedication that everyone else has raved over....that's really it!!!
eoconnell09 Posted:

Re: Don't know what to do

Okay, so I know that I have been all over the place in trying to explain this. I am going to try and shorten it up a little bit.

Basically, I am concerned that if time becomes an issue after booking two weddings the same day, that I will end up losing some of the attention to my centerpieces. Our wedding is the day after Thanksgiving, so it is already an odd time for a florist to have to put together floral arrangements.

That on top of the fact that my centerpieces need to be assembled at my hall worries me. I feel that could pose a problem if she has to get to the other wedding.

If it were a larger company, it wouldn't worry me because they usually book more than one affair at a time....Jen typically doesn't...in fact, this would be the first time....should I look elsewhere or do I book her anyway because she is the one I want? Do I risk it? PLEASE HELP!!
Brat143 Posted:

Re: Don't know what to do

I feel she would not have told you she could do it, if she really did'nt feel she could. If you like her do it! I't your day. And asking for a little something extra is fine in most cases but the angle you are going with comes across kinda wierd, like if she throws something in you would feel more confident in her work? And the other angle is really that she is doing you a favor by doing her best to 'already' make the customer happy?

aimerlena01 Posted:

Re: Don't know what to do

Go for it. They are a reputable company. If they say they can do it I'm sure they can.

eoconnell09 Posted:

Re: Don't know what to do

Well, yes I agree that it could sound a little strange. I have not even begun the negotiation phase with her yet, however so it would be something that I would mention anyway....quite honestly, the other place that I went to look at gave me my bouquet for less and the cake accents were thrown in for free. Personal flowers ended up being cheaper with the other florist that I had met with, by about $100. I hadn't gotten a new quote from the other florist after I had chosen my centerpieces because I wanted to go with her, but I think that the other florist might have been cheaper...not by much but cheaper still.....thing is, I just liked her better so I didn't mind spending the extra money. This just gave me a little more incentive to try and bargain with her.

If she had ever done it before, I wouldn't be as hesitant....also if it weren't the day after Thanksgiving (AKA Black Friday....AKA the heaviest travel day)....am I looking into this too much???? I think I need to indulge in a little while making this decision!!!
Brat143 Posted:

Re: Don't know what to do

you are reading into it A LOT!!! But I totaly do the same thing, with everything!!!!! HAve a drink & relax, it will come together!!!
Aug07OFCbride Posted:

Re: Don't know what to do

i would still book w/ verbena..theyre amazing at what they do and their work and reviews should give you confidence in booking even though they have 2 weddings. JMO.

if she didn't feel she could handle it, regardless of day after thanksgiving or 2 weddings in one day, she wouldn't have offered.

im not sure why theyd throw anything else in for you though. if you didnt book soon enough, its not really like they caused you any inconvenience.
eoconnell09 Posted:

Re: Don't know what to do

Yes....a drink always helps slow the mind down a little!! I am just starting to go a little crazy with work deadlines, planning a friend's bridal shower, planning our wedding, searching for an apartment and attending every family function known to man....it has been very hectic and so now I am worrying about everything.....and I thought I would be a stress-free bride.....Does that even exist???
Brat143 Posted:

Re: Don't know what to do

I said the same thing!!! I lie!
FuTuRe MrS MaZz Posted:

Re: Don't know what to do

They are a business... They dont want bad feedback... so if they say they can handle 2, i'm sure they will do whatever in their power to make sure their first '2 weddings/day' goes along smoothly
eoconnell09 Posted:

Re: Don't know what to do

Well, I figure it doesn't hurt to ask, especially since I haven't even begun the negotiation process.....as I also stated, it wouldn't exactly be a deal breaker anyway....her price is already within our budget, so I am happy either way.

I guess I just really needed to hear other brides say that they would book either way....it is helpful to get insight from people who are in the same position, but aren't me.....THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP LADIES!!!!

I love LIWeddings!!!
xcalystax Posted:

Re: Don't know what to do

Sorry to crash, but do you know what time the other wedding is being held? Is it before or after yours?

beram63 Posted:

Re: Don't know what to do


Posted by Brat143

I feel she would not have told you she could do it, if she really did'nt feel she could.



my thoughts exactly. i don't think she'd risk her reputation to cram another wedding in if she was unsure about the demand on her time.
eoconnell09 Posted:

Re: Don't know what to do

No, I don't know the time of the other wedding yet. I sent her an email today and called her but they are closed on Mondays, so I will talk to her about everything tomorrow....I hope (and believe) that I will probably feel much better once I do talk to her!

I also don't want to interfere or detract from the other couple's wedding.....as you have all said, I am sure that she will be able to handle it, but I freaked and panicked a little....I will let you know how it goes tomorrow!!

THANK YOU LADIES!!! You're the best!
PegaLega Posted:

Re: Don't know what to do

Ill be blunt, I think that you are over analyzing this way too much. Everyone CPs get setup at the hall, I dont think that a reputable company would tell you they can do it-even tho they dont normally do it-if they couldnt. Go with your gut either way, if you are worried about it book elsewhere.

You have 2 options-use Verbena or dont. The setup issue is always that way, I understand what you are saying with time constraints but Im sure that whoever you booked with knows the block of time they need to set up for each wedding and would NOT say they could do it if they couldnt.

I dont know why you would expect to have something thrown in due to inconvenience when it seems like the inconvenience would be on them not you. They already booked their wedding for the day (since this is their norm) they really have no reason to even offer to do your wedding or throw anything in-they might but I wouldnt expect that.

eoconnell09 Posted:

Re: Don't know what to do

Let me be clear....I am not expecting anything. I am simply asking which is what I was considering doing in the first place. The way I look at it is the worst that can be said is no and then I am in the same position. WIthout there being an issue with time, couple's bargain and negotiate all the time with vendors.....clearly I am not very good at it!!!

Either way, that is not what will make or break this for me. I won't know anything until I talk to her...I just freaked a little because this week everything has come on top of me and it has been extremely stressful...maybe I over-stressed about the wrong thing, but it was simply the final thing this week/month to get to me.....but mama siad there's be days like this and there was.....today is a new day and I am happy that I will be talking to her today!

Reply to this topic

Log in to reply or quote a post.