Post New Topic

Down in the dumps....I have a dilemna.

halloweenbride04 Posted:

Down in the dumps....I have a dilemna.

So FH and I are in contract on a townhouse (yet to be built) which was to be ready for occupancy in 12/04. We sat last night to take a closer look at our finances and have figured out that we will not be able to afford the down payment and finish paying for our wedding. So we're faced with A. postponing the wedding, B. taking a townhouse in the section that won't be complete until 5/05, or C. abandoning this whole townhouse idea and go for a cheaper house or condo after the wedding. I knew I'd get my hopes up on this one, it's going to be brand new and we've had the most amazing generous offer to have $ taken off as a wedding gift and I don't think that anything will measure up if we let it go. I cried and cried last night because I really, really want this townhouse and I want my wedding too. What would you guys do?

jags77 Posted:

Re: Down in the dumps....I have a dilemna.

How about delaying your townhouse to the ones in the May 05 section? This way you will have time to save after the wedding for the townhouse plus you will probably get cash as presents for the wedding.

In my opinion, I don't think you should delay the wedding for a townhouse.

Hope it all works out!
bridget&jimmy Posted:

Re: Down in the dumps....I have a dilemna.

I to would just move into the section that is being built in May 05. Just think it will give you sometime to recoup from the wedding and enjoy married life without the stress of a house for a little while. Plus you could probably save a little while you are waiting for the house and then you could buy new furniture and lots of cute decorations. Don't let this get you down, if you move in May 05 you will have the perfect wedding and the perfect house.
Valentinegirl Posted:

Re: Down in the dumps....I have a dilemna.

I agree to wait til May 05.
sandj100304 Posted:

Re: Down in the dumps....I have a dilemna.


Posted by Valentinegirl

I agree to wait til May 05.



Ditto!
DjPiLL Posted:

Re: Down in the dumps....I have a dilemna.

Yes May '05. Another reason nobody mentioned is you are locking in to the price now for May '05. By the time May rolls around... your house may have increased in value even before you move in.

Also.... its is HIGHLY likely that if you decided to go the 12/04 route.... there is a good possibility the house wont even be ready by then. I heard builders in Long Island never meet their occupancy dates because of delays from the county government. Wouldn't it suck to postpone the wedding to move in 12/04... to come to realize you probably won't be moving in till Feb or March cause the house wasn't ready.

btrflygrl Posted:

Re: Down in the dumps....I have a dilemna.

wait for may '05...or is there anything from the wedding you can do without that would save you the money? Can you eliminate anything? When is the deposit due? Could you use wedding money for it? don't be sad Jeannie...it'll all work out for you!
julz33 Posted:

Re: Down in the dumps....I have a dilemna.


Posted by Valentinegirl

I agree to wait til May 05.



i agree.
peabody Posted:

Re: Down in the dumps....I have a dilemna.

I say wait to May 05. But definitely keep the townhouse.

halloweenbride04 Posted:

Re: Down in the dumps....I have a dilemna.

May '05 is what FH suggested too and seems more realistic. Our binder can be applied to any unit until they're built so it's not a big deal. My emotional state was much more than the house, I got my hopes up so high for 12/04 becuase we won't be taking a honeymoon and I felt like at least I'd have something to really look forward to after the wedding.

Thanks for your support and advice.
julz33 Posted:

Re: Down in the dumps....I have a dilemna.

It's only 5 more months It is still exciting!
janwinterbridejoy Posted:

Re: Down in the dumps....I have a dilemna.


Posted by Valentinegirl

I agree to wait til May 05.




i agree
butterfly20 Posted:

Re: Down in the dumps....I have a dilemna.

id wait until may 05(easy for me to say since i have a free basement currently)......

otherwise if you think you can afford it by may05, maybe have a family loan that you can pay off by may05?
no stress bride Posted:

Re: Down in the dumps....I have a dilemna.

I would also wait until 05! It's not that much longer down the road and u could definitely save some more money also!! Don't put off the wedding it is coming around the corner!! Hope all works out!! Also u never get in on time!!
MrsTC Posted:

Re: Down in the dumps....I have a dilemna.

i would wait til May 2005.....it will be here before you know it!
NPbride Posted:

Re: Down in the dumps....I have a dilemna.

I agree w/ everyone else, too; wait until '05. It's only a few months longer and it'll fly right by! Where are these townhouses being built (if you don't mind my asking)? Good luck and hope it all works out!

Danielle&Scott Posted:

Re: Down in the dumps....I have a dilemna.

I would have to agree with everyone else on waiting till May 05. Since you said the Condo development is new, hopefully the second phase that will be ready in May 05 will be better than the first phase which you are waiting for now. When condos are built the second phase is usually a little different, a usually a little better....I think the builders compare the first phase to the second phase and see what could be done differently to improve the interior or exterior of the condo.

Good Luck.
Scott
philby Posted:

Re: Down in the dumps....I have a dilemna.

I believe that you should wait until May 05. Trust me that there WILL be building delays and punch list items that will drag on for a year. This is commonplace in construction. I also agree w/ Dj Pill and locking in to the current rate. The prices may eventually level off but they will not drop. Too many people not enough affordable housing. Oh, yea, money off as a wedding gift? Don't let this oppourtunity pass you by. Good luck with your decision.

Reply to this topic

Log in to reply or quote a post.