Post New Topic

I have a dilemma - EDITED.

Gonnacatchapeacock Posted:

I have a dilemma - EDITED.

I'm having a hard time deciding on whether or not I want to bid on a house on the South Shore.

It's great b/c it has an excellent elementary/HS, has central air, central vacuum, jacuzzi, updated kitchen, gas fireplace, a basement (even though it's near water), updated bathrooms, an inground gunite pool, excellent neighborhood, park nearby and a garage. Midblock location, quiet street.

However, there is really no backyard as the pool is taking up all the space, the upstairs rooms are small and there are these custom built closets that are approx 2 feet deep built into the master bedroom and another bedroom. The whole house has a Modern feel to it (not my taste). It's not an EIK but I have visions of extending the kitchen to go into the dining room one day. The front room has skylights and is being used as a sitting room but I would probably make that the dining room. That masterbedroom is on the small side (even with the 2ft of cabinets) and a King sized bed will fit but won't allow me to get additional bedroom furniture. There is a walk in closet near the masterbedroom for additional clothing and shoes, etc. It's also as east & south as my FH was willing to go. It would be a big commute for the two of us. I work in Mineola (maybe around 45 min -1hr w/ traffic??)

The house is nice and my FH feels that we definitely can get it for a great price!
I'm afraid to bid on it although it has a lot of things I really wanted ( garage, basement, area)...it doesn't have a backyard...no grass for future kiddies to play on....just one big heated pool that can be used 4 months out of the year?

I'm going back and forth w/ Value vs. Gut feeling. I don't know what to do...but I do know that FH is more yes than no. And if we want this house we should decide this weekend.

ETA: we were told that the house was not selling and the homeowner was extremely motivated. So we started low - even our RE agent said the bid was going ot stand very good with them....anyway, now their are TWO OFFERS and the homeowner wants asking price - which is roughly $14,000 more than our offer was. I liked the house for the above reasons - but wasn't about to faint over it or anything - this seems weird!! Suddenly they have 3 offers when last week and two months before that they had none.
cjb88 Posted:

Re: I have a dilemma -

you can always put an offer in... and then change your mind later.... you have nothing to loose...

ThongLori Posted:

Re: I have a dilemma -

Well--- I think you should bid and decide later. You can always back out.

There is ALWAYS going to be a 'but.' Woud you rather have a huge yard but be in a cr@ppy school district? Or have a huge yard, but a not-so-nice neighborhood?

I know nothing about this - but can't you have the pool filled in if you wanted to?
skew Posted:

Re: I have a dilemma -

IMO, no house is 100% perfect. you need to decide what your top must-haves are and focus on that. if land is really important to you, then i would pass on this house. keep in mind that you could always alter the interior and exterior of the home but you are stuck w/ the location and land.

D&C Posted:

Re: I have a dilemma -


Posted by skew

IMO, no house is 100% perfect. you need to decide what your top must-haves are and focus on that. if land is really important to you, then i would pass on this house. keep in mind that you could always alter the interior and exterior of the home but you are stuck w/ the location and land.



Couldnt have said it better myself
DjPiLL Posted:

Re: I have a dilemma -

Why not make a weaker offer and see if they come up with a counter.
Gonnacatchapeacock Posted:

Re: I have a dilemma - EDITED.

edited

TracyInQueens Posted:

Re: I have a dilemma - EDITED.


Posted by Gonnacatchapeacock



ETA: we were told that the house was not selling and the homeowner was extremely motivated. So we started low - even our RE agent said the bid was going ot stand very good with them....anyway, now their are TWO OFFERS and the homeowner wants asking price - which is roughly $14,000 more than our offer was. I liked the house for the above reasons - but wasn't about to faint over it or anything - this seems weird!! Suddenly they have 3 offers when last week and two months before that they had none.



It would not surprise me if they were yanking your chain. They might think, well, if they want it, they're going to pay what we want. That's the nature of the LI market, it seems.

Reply to this topic

Log in to reply or quote a post.