Post New Topic

I thought this would be easy......

SMDC2012 Posted:

I thought this would be easy......

I just called the church we would like to get married in (the same one my sister got married in) and they denied our request at this time. They have an interim Father right now and since FH wants his former Father to participate in the ceremony somehow (which he said he would) they said as an interim he can't make that decision. So, he told me to try back in February and see if they found a new Father.
That was my church.

FH's church is having financial trouble and may not be around next Oct so we have to wait on them until Jan/Feb to find out. Plus there is more drama there about the Father in charge now and if he is till around in Jan/Feb we can't have it there anyway (apparently the parishioners don't like him much including FMIL)

The former Father agreed to participate in the service/ceremony and will even do it as a dual service however he won't do it unless it is in a church so doing it at the RH is the very last resort and probably not a favorite of my mom, FMIL or FH.

I want to keep it between these two churches because the ceremony is the most important part of the day and I don't want to look back 20 years from now and say 'oh, yea you're father and I got married in some random church neither one of us was affiliated with'.

Is waiting until February bad or will it still be plenty of time since our wedding is in Oct? How close can we come to Oct without this being an issue.

Until we have this settled we can't do invites or limos. Anything else?

TIA

-D
kerryums Posted:

Re: I thought this would be easy......

Sorry that your ceremony planning is hitting roadblocks! I could be wrong, but I think you will be fine, time-wise. I consulted my most recent issue of Bride's magazine for the wedding timeline suggestion. It suggests ordering invitations and booking the limo at the 6-month mark, so you will be well within the suggested limit for those things! It does suggest finding your officiant at/around the 10-month mark, but I think because you have two churches to pick from you have better odds of one of them being available for your date. Good luck and hopefully with a little time everything will sort itself out!
SMDC2012 Posted:

Re: I thought this would be easy......

Thank you! Its just frustrating. FH said worst comes to worst he'll forgo the gentleman he wants to marry us and we'll have to have the ceremony at the RH but my mom already gave me a hard time about that before all this and FMIL is thrilled beyond belief to have this gentleman marry us. Can't please everyone. Hopefully it will all work out.

StephanieJoy Posted:

Re: I thought this would be easy......

you should be ok time wise,

if you are too worried you can at least start to look and let them know the situation.
lindseynaggle Posted:

Re: I thought this would be easy......

What about joining another church? If you join now, you can develop a relationship with the priest and parishioners before your wedding. This way you aren't worried about it for the next six months.

pixietina Posted:

Re: I thought this would be easy......


Posted by lindseynaggle

What about joining another church? If you join now, you can develop a relationship with the priest and parishioners before your wedding. This way you aren't worried about it for the next six months.



This sounds like a good idea. Sorry for you stress.
SMDC2012 Posted:

Re: I thought this would be easy......

I actually thought about that too but FH doesn't want to. It doesn't help that everyone (meaning me, FH, my mom and FMIL) has their own 'wants' for the ceremony. My mom actually found a non denominational 'church' owned by the town of Islip but it only holds 60 people so it won't work. I guess I'll have to be patient and wait but was just figuring out I can't even book hair and make up til then either bc if its at RH it will be later than if its at the church. Ugh.

Reply to this topic

Log in to reply or quote a post.