Ok..so me and FH have a dilemma. We already have our hall booked. The reason we booked it is bc it is local, the food is great and it was one of the few halls who had a smaller room with a low min. We are only having about 100 people and the majority of places I called, we didn't meet their min. or the rooms were not nice. The room we are in is upstairs, has an outside veranda and the cocktail hour will be outside on another veranda overlooking a golf course. Our first choice was Russo's on the Bay. We fell in love with the place the price was close to 30 less then this place. Only problem was, they didn't have any May or June dates available at the time for the smaller room. This was back in March. When I mentioned where we would be having it, heard from my grandpa how, oh people will have to travel all the way there, it's a Friday blah, blah. Meanwhile it takes only about 40 min from my house and the CH won't start until 7:30-8. The majority of the people going are from my area SI, bk and long island and some from Jeresey so it really isn't that far. I called Russo's again a few days ago and they are opening up a new hall down the block called Vetro. It is opening up in Aug, booking for parties now and will cater to small weddings. It is going to have a smaller version of the ballrooms at Russo's, have a rooftop deck overlooking Jamaica Bay and sounds beautiful. It is also 20 cheaper then the place we are at now and sounds like it will be nicer too. Only thing is there are no pictures of what it looks like completed and the lady told me I would have to wait until Aug to go look at the inside. I'm off work today so was going to go meet with her to talk over prices. Thing is, we have to decide what we are going to do soon like this weekend bc more money is due at our original place. We will loose our 500 deposit and the lady we are dealing with, who also knows my cousin, told FH we may be responsible to pay them min. # of guests we told them would come. He called and didn't give his name so I think if we met with her and she saw who she was dealing with, I doubt she would sue us. So do we go with a place we haven't seen yet but sounds beautiful, is cheaper and we know the food will be great too..or stay with our second choice even though it may not be as fancy and leave well enough alone. I may add I was the one who started thinking about switching places lol.
JoanneAndJustin
Posted:
Member since
Re: Kinda Long..Need advice on what to do about hall
My mom got married at her RH by looking at floor plans... but this was in 1969.
My friend's mom got married at Jericho Terrace the same way! So it can be done! She was one of the first weddings there.
See what they CAN show you, and decide... 500.00 isn't a lot of money if you'll be happier at the new location. You put a deposit down... that'll probably be all you'll lose.
Christine N Ralph
Posted:
Member since
Re: Kinda Long..Need advice on what to do about hall
If it means just losing the deposit I would book Il Vetro...however if you have to pay for the min I would just keep it where it already is
MrsC2010
Posted:
Member since
Re: Kinda Long..Need advice on what to do about hall
Posted by Christine N Ralph
If it means just losing the deposit I would book Il Vetro...however if you have to pay for the min I would just keep it where it already is
i totally agree...if its just the deposit then i would switch if that will make u happy.
i personally would be nervous about booking a place i haven't actually seen, but thats just me. But, like Joanne said...people have def done it before!
Lsorrent
Posted:
Member since
Re: Kinda Long..Need advice on what to do about hall
The ONLY reason I'd be comfortable booking Il Vetro without seeing anything is because it's the same owners as Russo's. Russo's is VERY reputable and has been around forever. You know what they do, and that the food is great and the rooms are beautiful, and I would never expect anything less than that from the owners there.
If it just means losing the deposit, I'd go for it. $500 is a lot, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that much if it means making you happier.
Iluvpoodles
Posted:
Member since
Re: Kinda Long..Need advice on what to do about hall
Thanks girls. I talked it over with FH and my family and they think we should just stay where we are bc of the traffic on Fridays. We will be traveling out there in the middle of rush hour and the belt is usually packed bumper to bumper. I didn't think about this. We could change it to a Sat but that means we would have to change our dj and photography and I'm nervous that they won't be available for that day.
angelatp
Posted:
Member since
Re: Kinda Long..Need advice on what to do about hall
I'm booked with Vetro, and I feel comfortable enough to go there without seeing the place. They have a reputation to uphold and they do a fantastic job as well. The food and service is amazing which was really important to FH and I.
I wish you luck!! Let us know where you end up choosing.
MrsCM
Posted:
Member since
Re: Kinda Long..Need advice on what to do about hall
You could call your vendors ahead of time and find out their availability.
MrsDR2010
Posted:
Member since
Re: Kinda Long..Need advice on what to do about hall
Posted by seawedding
You could call your vendors ahead of time and find out their availability.
I agree. I did this when I changed my date.
Nina1010
Posted:
Member since
Re: Kinda Long..Need advice on what to do about hall
Posted by Christine N Ralph
If it means just losing the deposit I would book Il Vetro...however if you have to pay for the min I would just keep it where it already is
Yep...totally agree with this.
angelatp
Posted:
Member since
Re: Kinda Long..Need advice on what to do about hall