Post New Topic

Need advice: C-section or natural for BIG baby?

Original post by Mishy626

To make a long story short, I was sent to a high risk doctor yesterday (I will be 40 weeks tomorrow) and the sonogram showed the baby is 10 pounds. I was told to go back on Monday to do a repeat sono/non stress test, etc and then go talk to my regular doctor to go over the results. The doctor I spoke with yesterday (and one on the phone today) seem to be suggesting a c-section. I understand the risks with a big baby, that if the head gets stuck, they may have to break the collarbone, my pelvis, 'pull' the baby out, which in the end, can cause erbs palsy.

I don't want to put my baby at risk, yet I don't want to have a c-section if it's possible I may not really need it. Any advice ladies? Have you known anyone who has given birth to a very large baby naturally? Any who had complications because of this? Would you just go for the c-section or opt to try natural at first? I'm so confused! Thanks for your help.
Deb_n_Rob Posted:

Re: Need advice: C-section or natural for BIG baby?


Posted by bride082003

this post has been very informative for me. Thank you. I am 36weeks and have been told baby is already 7.5 lbs



I measured about the same at 36 weeks. I had my daughter two days past my due date ( the day they were suppose to induce me). She weighed 9 pounds 1 oz. I had her vaginally and everything went very well. Good luck to all the September mommies. I was in your shoes just over a month ago. Whatever your decision is, just remember you will be going home with the most wonderful gift in the world. Hang in there! You're in my thoughts.
michele31 Posted:

Re: Need advice: C-section or natural for BIG baby?

This is from a women who had a VBAC (vaginal birth after c/s). Now her first c/s was forced on her because 'the baby is too big for you to give birth to naturally' so she has a lot of anger about that...as she should IMO. This is NOT to tell you to have a home birth in any way but to show you that if she can have an 11lb VBAC baby it is possible to deliver to a big baby naturally.

Yes, I had an 11 pound baby, natural, after a prior c-section (for my HUGE 9¼ pound baby that was 'so big I was going to kill him if I left him in any longer'). My advice is to just not go to the hospital until in labor (at least 3 or 4 cm) unless there is a really good reason. Actually, if I had to do it over again, I'd stay home. If I have a 3rd baby, I'm sure it will be just as big and I will stay as far from any hospital as possible.
chmlengr Posted:

Re: Need advice: C-section or natural for BIG baby?

I had a c/s because Andrew was breech. We were playing the 'waiting for him to turn' game, so I could go into labor and have him vaginally. Estimates at 36 weeks showed him bigger than 8 lbs. My doctor did not force c/s on me, he encouraged me to wait before deciding to schedule a c/s because he was breech. My doc said he wasn't worried about the size - he had many women deliver babies vaginally who were greater than 9 lbs. But when my water broke at 37 weeks, he was still breech and I had a c/s. I was prepared for it, knowing it was a possibility. My birth experience was a good one - Andrew was born 3 weeks early and was a healthy 9 lbs. 7 oz. That's all I cared about. So my sono estimates were pretty accurate.

Kate Posted:

Re: Need advice: C-section or natural for BIG baby?

I should add that my Dr's were not saying I had to have a c/s because they thought the baby was large and I could not pass it vaginally. Due to the size and that I was 41 weeks and that they thought the baby could be even more post term that we thought (due to size, dates could be wrong etc).
When they are, there is a chance that the baby could have a bowel movement in utero and they did not want that to happen.

Meconium Aspiration

Reply to this topic

Log in to reply or quote a post.