Post New Topic

Need some advice

chelle2386 Posted:

Need some advice

Unfortunately, my FH was laid off a couple of days ago :( We were planning on saving a lot of money from now until the wedding (this May), but due to the circumstances, we most likely won't be able to do so. I'm debating whether I should change our wedding date to May 2012 instead of 2011 but I'm concerned because we have already booked ALL of our vendors! I'm worried that our vendors will be booked on the new wedding date that we choose, and then we would have lost our deposits. Also, my grandma (who is a huge part of my life) is 92 and I'm worried if we wait another year, she won't be around to see me walk down the aisle :( What would you do?

ACD8 Posted:

Re: Need some advice

that is a tough situation and very unfortunate. Before changing your date...I would look to see if there is any where you can 'cut back' on your wedding. Maybe call the vendors and order smaller packages or even cut down your invite list a bit (if possible). I hope this helps!

rendel Posted:

Re: Need some advice

Stuff like this unfortunately happens I was out of work since last October. We still were able to save money that FH put away and money I banked when I was still working. I am not saying it was easy, but we did it.

VCanizalez Posted:

Re: Need some advice

mmmm....
Do you think u can pull it off by 2011?
Do u think u will have the money?
Is eh lookin for a job now?

Mmm... thats hard...

Especially bc u have everything book now...

Can they switch the date w/o chargin anything?

When it comes down to ur grandma, I wudl say make it for 2011... U never know what life may bring unfortunately...

MrsDtoB Posted:

Re: Need some advice

So sorry to hear that!
What about switching it to a later date in 2011, maybe October/november?? Maybe Milleridge will adjust the price if you change the date?
Jsquared Posted:

Re: Need some advice

Im sorry about that. This economy stinks .

I wouldnt change the year maybe just the date? Maybe a friday night or invite less guests? Maybe FH will find something sooner than later?
Im getting Married Posted:

Re: Need some advice

I would talk to your RH 1st see what dates they have that are cheaper and if those are doable for you guys I would call all your vendors before changing the date.

I know it's not ideal but is there a family member that could help you guys out if you come up short at the end
SquareandPea Posted:

Re: Need some advice

Just wait a bit and see what happens. Same thing happened to me. If FH is agressive enough, I am sure he will find something.
Good Luck
jesstangney Posted:

Re: Need some advice

It's a really tough decision. I guess the biggest question is whether or not you live at home still or if you are spending $$ every month on rent. FH & I went through the same thing last year.... we were VERY lucky he got a new job in about a month, at a HUGE paycutt, but at least he had a new job. It really was the best thing as the other job would have killed him - he was working 12 + hour days. Keep your chin up! Things will work out right.

chelle2386 Posted:

Re: Need some advice

thanks everyone for your advice! we've decided to wait it out for a few months to see if my FH is able to get another job, and if he doesn't find a job by then, we'll seriously consider changing our date.

MrsRtoBe11 Posted:

Re: Need some advice

what kind of work does FH do? maybe we can all keep an eye/ ear out for you guys.
:)
chelle2386 Posted:

Re: Need some advice

he's a packaging engineer, but we're living in chicago right now :-\ thanks though!

TheEyesOfMarch Posted:

Re: Need some advice

i'm sorry to hear the news... it'll all work out. Stay positive
leesah85 Posted:

Re: Need some advice


Posted by Im getting Married

I would talk to your RH 1st see what dates they have that are cheaper and if those are doable for you guys I would call all your vendors before changing the date.

I know it's not ideal but is there a family member that could help you guys out if you come up short at the end



ITA with this. def just cut back in tons of the areas that you can.

DIY invitations
DIY centerpieces - if you dont have them booked already - or just make them smaller than you had originally planned
and look around for girls selling things - tons of brides on here sell things after their weddings - that's an easy way to save money.

HopelessRomantic Posted:

Re: Need some advice

I would def keep 2011..packages are getting more expensive and like the other ladies stated, you dont know the future...

theres are sooo many ways to cut back
(eg guest list, photography and video packages, etc)
CantWaitMrsH Posted:

Re: Need some advice

Honestly I would be surprised if May 2012 is already booked. However, I wouldnt wait too much longer. Most places allow you to push your event back within the same year without any penalty. What about a fall wedding? That would give you some time to addtionally save and hopefully for him to land something!

So sorry!
evita2781 Posted:

Re: Need some advice

i def think you should wait it out and see what happens. this economy sucks but based on all the girls getting new jobs on this site as well as some of my coworkers, i think the economy is picking up. He should def get a recruiter to help him out with the process. good luck and i'm sorry
spdy540 Posted:

9Re: Need some advice

That's a hard decision to make. I would give it a month and in the mine time figure out the money and budget accordingly because if your grandmother really is a concern you may what can be dropped or downsized to make it work

Reply to this topic

Log in to reply or quote a post.