Post New Topic

PROBLEM - Need help to decide!

teamC Posted:

PROBLEM - Need help to decide!

So we finally narrowed down our RH to two choices. Then last night FH told me that there are a lot of talk at his job that they are going to lay off another group of people (they laid off 8 people in his department 2 weeks ago) he also said that its not likely that his company will be giving bonuses in the beginning of the year.

We are paying for the wedding ourselves and had planned to use his entire bonus money for the wedding.

So what do you think we should do? Should we go ahead and book a wedding for August/September/October 2009 and if the bonus doesn't come through push it back 2010 (if a contract with the vendor will allow this) OR Should we just book a 2010 wedding altogether?

I'm really sad about this because we wanted to get married in 2009 and have some time as a married couple before we started having children...but I'm more saddened by the fact that FH feels like he let me down. I keep telling him that its something that is out of his control and that everything will work out.

TIA
nicopico13 Posted:

Re: PROBLEM - Need help to decide!

Well pricing is going to go up so either way it helps to book now. Go over the numbers, see where your at right now and if an 09 wedding seems out of reach book for 2010. There is nothing wrong with having a long engagement. FH and I will have had a 2 1/2 yr engagement when we get married, yeah you get some flack from friend and family 'oh thats so long from now', but then you just say well everything is so expensive these days we need time to save! You don't want to put yourself in a hole just to get married a little sooner. Good luck, it will all work out in the end.

jennarose023 Posted:

Re: PROBLEM - Need help to decide!

make sure that you are comfortable with the earlier date, especially if you are unsure about your finances. IMHO i would wait and book 2010, this way you can save and not worry HTH

KRISTIND Posted:

Re: PROBLEM - Need help to decide!

I just booked for March of 2010 for a bunch a different reasons finances obvisously one of them. Don't worry about a long enagement it's fun to say 'my fiance' enjoy it! Plus if money is a concern and you like a place consider a different time of year or a different day of the week. We saved money by booking spring instead of summer and when we did research August had a greater chance of rain...Good Luck.

MrsZtoBe Posted:

Re: PROBLEM - Need help to decide!

You can wait and see what happens. If you have no specific date in mind, you can actually get some great deals when you wait a bit. Vendors will sometimes give you a less expensive price when they aren't booked yet.

If you are too Type A for that option, waiting wouldn't be the worst thing. You can crunch your numbers and see if there is a way to make your budget work w/o the bonus. It is possible to save money when planning a wedding if you play your cards right.

HTH!



Cpt2007 Posted:

Re: PROBLEM - Need help to decide!

If you don't have any other options for financing, I would put it off until 2010. You might want to book now for the 2010 date, and work out a deal with your RH where each month or quarter, you have a bit of your total due so that you are saving all along and paying it down. It would force you to stick to a budget and you'd have no debt along the way.

JenBill61210 Posted:

Re: PROBLEM - Need help to decide!

Part of the reason why i booked in 2010 was so that it would give me enough time to save up to pay for my wedding, so if you go over your finances and find that a 2009 wedding is not feasabile financially, then i would start to look at 2010 dates...

Kricket212 Posted:

Re: PROBLEM - Need help to decide!

I agree with al of the above & figure out what the budget is...maybe you can still ahve a wedding just not as big as you originally thought

angels914 Posted:

Re: PROBLEM - Need help to decide!

Do what is best for both of you !!!!!!!!!!!! Especially if the both of you are paying for the wedding !!!!!!! Good Luck !!!!!!!!!

SummerBride10 Posted:

Re: PROBLEM - Need help to decide!

You can always book a 2009 date and push it back to 2010. I think it would be harder to push it up though because more vendors will be booked for 09 than 10.
2010 seems far away, however I'm really glad I picked it- we have much more time to plan the wedding and that makes it less stressful- so there are benefits to waiting till 2010!

Reply to this topic

Log in to reply or quote a post.