Post New Topic

Test for Rubella??

jeng Posted:

Test for Rubella??

I'm not sure if I have all this right, but my Dr. (Nurse Practitioner really) wants to do a test to check if the Rubella vaccination took from when I was little before we TTC. I haven't seen this mentioned on here before. Has anyone had this done?

If I don't have the anti-bodies (if that's what you call them) then she would vaccinate me and we would have to wait 3 months before TTC.

Not really worried or anything, just curious if this is commom practice.

Thanks moms and moms-to-be!

P.S.- We're not planning on starting TTC for about 9 months.....we're still negotiating
Stacey1403 Posted:

Re: Test for Rubella??

Do It!!!!! I was already pregnant when they tested my blood and I don't have the antibodies for Chicken Pox and Rubella There is nothing I can do about it now but who new? I had Chicken Pox but a very mild case. My Dr's. are concerned because I work with children, so I have to try to be careful! Thank goodness for vactinations!!
kptoys Posted:

Re: Test for Rubella??

How long has it been since college if you went? You should have gotten an MMR before going. I didnt get the test but it couldnt hurt.

Stef28 Posted:

Re: Test for Rubella??

I had the test done too -- after I went to doc for pre-conception visit last year she asked me to test for Rubella. So yes, I would say it's common practice to do so.

I didn't need the vaccine.

Apparently in a range of a certain number of years about 25-30 years ago some folks either didn't get the vaccine or it wasn't a good enough vaccine -- so they just like to check people in that age range.
jeng Posted:

Re: Test for Rubella??

Thanks ladies! I guess I wanted to know that my NP isn't out there on her own with wanting to do the test.......

I started college in '91. I remember getting a physical, but I don't remember getting any shots??
Maybe it was required and I just don't remember getting it?

I agree it couldn't hurt to have the test. The only part that bothers me a little bit is if I don't have the antibodies (next annual exam is 12/03), then I have to wait 3 months after the vaccination to TTC. I guess in the back of my mind I'm hoping my DH decides he wants to try a little sooner than we plan and then we might have to wait anyway. I could move the appointment up, but I fear it might freak my DH out
I'll just have to leave it to the powers that be

Reply to this topic

Log in to reply or quote a post.