Post New Topic

Waiting a week for honeymoon? (x-post and long)

Tracey1979 Posted:

Waiting a week for honeymoon? (x-post and long)

Hi ladies.

We are getting married on a Saturday evening. We are most likely honeymooning in Moorea and Bora Bora. Takes about a full day to get there.

Based on what all of my friends have recommended, we do NOT want to leave for our HM on Sunday, since we'll still be recuperating from wedding. So we want to leave Monday.

To leave for this trip, we'd leave from NY area in the afternoon on Monday, and not get there til Tuesday. We then would need to leave on a Friday to come home, since it takes a full day, and that would get us home on a Saturday, with Sunday to recuperate before we go back to work. So we'd be away about 10 days.

However, that Friday coming home is Christmas. We don't like the idea of traveling on Christmas. We then realized that if we waited a week after our wedding, we could leave on the Saturday, and come home on New Year's Day (a Friday). This would give us 2 more nights of our honeymoon than if we went right after our wedding, for not much more cost (the biggest expense of the trip is the airfare to get us there, not the hotel).

We have floated this idea past a few friends/family members, and some have discouraged it - they think we should leave right away to relax, etc. I see pros and cons of going right away versus waiting the week. The big pro for waiting a week is that we get two extra nights on our dream honeymoon.

Thoughts? Sorry so long, and sorry for x-post - sometimes I'm not sure which group to post in.
drivwal Posted:

Re: Waiting a week for honeymoon? (x-post and long)

I say leave when it is comfortable and right for you! We are going to leave a few months after our wedding because FH will be in school so we will be married in November but leave for our hm late dec early jan. Do what's right for you!

MikesBride2B Posted:

Re: Waiting a week for honeymoon? (x-post and long)

I don't think its a problem. We are getting married on a Sunday and not leaving for the honeymoon until that Thursday.
kris_gets_hitched Posted:

Re: Waiting a week for honeymoon? (x-post and long)

If you can get a couple of extra days out of it, why not wait? People are always going to have their opinions on it, so don't let their ideas sway you - do what's right for you guys.

Remember what they always say...opinions are like @ssholes. Everyone has one, and they all stink!
Tracey1979 Posted:

Re: Waiting a week for honeymoon? (x-post and long)


Posted by kris_gets_hitched

If you can get a couple of extra days out of it, why not wait? People are always going to have their opinions on it, so don't let their ideas sway you - do what's right for you guys.

Remember what they always say...opinions are like @ssholes. Everyone has one, and they all stink!



laughing - thanks!
dmb922 Posted:

Re: Waiting a week for honeymoon? (x-post and long)

hi-- we are also going to moorea and bora bora. Because of the time it takes to get there and home, we are going three weeks after our wedding b/c we can get a full 9days out of the trip verses 7. i don't see anything wrong with waiting, if it gives you more time to relax and enjoy your honeymoon:)

Tracey1979 Posted:

Re: Waiting a week for honeymoon? (x-post and long)


Posted by dmb922

hi-- we are also going to moorea and bora bora. Because of the time it takes to get there and home, we are going three weeks after our wedding b/c we can get a full 9days out of the trip verses 7. i don't see anything wrong with waiting, if it gives you more time to relax and enjoy your honeymoon:)



Thanks... Where are you staying, and what made you decide on those hotels?
dfw343 Posted:

Re: Waiting a week for honeymoon? (x-post and long)

We are taking our honeymoon9 months later.
Money, jobs, and other factors.

I am kinda glad.
NO rush and something to look forward too!

Do what's best for the TWO of you!
dina215 Posted:

Re: Waiting a week for honeymoon? (x-post and long)

I'm going to French Polynesia as well. FH and I decided to wait two weeks so we could leave on a Friday and not have to take more days off from work. I also figure we'll have some time to relax before we leave. I don't think there's anything wrong with waiting given it's still within such a close timeframe. Plus, it will give you something else to look forward too.

debzy Posted:

Re: Waiting a week for honeymoon? (x-post and long)

I'd wait and do what's right for you. I know people who have gone the next day, people who have waited days, and others who have waited months for their honeymoon. It's fun no matter when you go.

kat124 Posted:

Re: Waiting a week for honeymoon? (x-post and long)

Who cares what people and friends say?! Leave when its convenient for you.

We took our honeymoon 3 months before the wedding! LOL.
I was in law school at the time and could not (because of summer classes, scheduling and internship) take it at any other time.

Its about your needs...
the day after the weeding you will be very tired. So if you want to wait a week go ahead.
QueenPeach Posted:

Re: Waiting a week for honeymoon? (x-post and long)


Posted by kris_gets_hitched

Remember what they always say...opinions are like @ssholes. Everyone has one, and they all stink!




Do what you want. And if you think it's appealing to save money on your flight then all the better for you to have extra cash for your extra nights at the hotel. If it's such a long flight, it may feel more worth the long trip to get to stay there a bit longer.
jcreilly Posted:

Re: Waiting a week for honeymoon? (x-post and long)

I am would wait, stay at the hotel you are using for Hm night for another night just staying in bed relaxing then go a week later, then you dont have to worrry about packing right before your wedding

sophisticat13 Posted:

Re: Waiting a week for honeymoon? (x-post and long)


Posted by Tracey1979

Hi ladies.

We are getting married on a Saturday evening. We are most likely honeymooning in Moorea and Bora Bora. Takes about a full day to get there.

Based on what all of my friends have recommended, we do NOT want to leave for our HM on Sunday, since we'll still be recuperating from wedding. So we want to leave Monday.

To leave for this trip, we'd leave from NY area in the afternoon on Monday, and not get there til Tuesday. We then would need to leave on a Friday to come home, since it takes a full day, and that would get us home on a Saturday, with Sunday to recuperate before we go back to work. So we'd be away about 10 days.

However, that Friday coming home is Christmas. We don't like the idea of traveling on Christmas. We then realized that if we waited a week after our wedding, we could leave on the Saturday, and come home on New Year's Day (a Friday). This would give us 2 more nights of our honeymoon than if we went right after our wedding, for not much more cost (the biggest expense of the trip is the airfare to get us there, not the hotel).

We have floated this idea past a few friends/family members, and some have discouraged it - they think we should leave right away to relax, etc. I see pros and cons of going right away versus waiting the week. The big pro for waiting a week is that we get two extra nights on our dream honeymoon.

Thoughts? Sorry so long, and sorry for x-post - sometimes I'm not sure which group to post in.



I think your plan to leave a week later is great. you will have time to come down form the wedding, relax, pack, and look forward to your HM...and when you get there have two more days to boot!!! To me this is a no-brainer lol. It's your decision, after all it is your HM and you should do what you think is best for you and your new DH Don't listen to your family members, they aren't the ones going hahaha.

Reply to this topic

Log in to reply or quote a post.