Post New Topic

What to do? LONG

MrsMadness Posted:

What to do? LONG

I know this board does not get a lot of traffic anymore, but I thought I would ask anyway...

DH and I are currently living in Franklin Square in a mother/daughter with his Grandma. She owns the house and charges us pennies for rent. We are able to save a lot living here.

We have been looking for homes since the summer. I would love to live in Rockville Centre, but it is out of our range. Lynbrook i my more realistic choice, and since we are not in a rush I have been very selective at where in Lynbrook I would like to live.

Recently a home was put up for sale, within our price range in the section of Lynbrook in which we would like to live. We went to see it, and it was small. 7 room colonial (I love colonials), 3 brs, 1.5 baths. But every room is small. However, the yard is large, and there is room for improvement in the future. It is a nice starter house.

We decided to put in a LOW bid. Our agent contacted us this weekend to ask us if we wanted to offer more, because the sellers would like to sell to us since we have more to offer as a downpayment. So, we upped the bid a little bit.

In the meanwhile, DH's grandma tells us that she doesn't want us to leave. Perhaps we can buy the house from her. DH offers her an amount, and she says she'll think about it.

Well, the agent calls us back asking if we will offer more, and the house will be ours. DH tells his gram and now she is allegedly seriously considering selling us the house.

Here are the factors: I would prefer to live in Lynbrook, but if we buy gram's house in Franklin Square I can spend the same money and basically have a mint condition house after repairs. Gram says she is almost sure she will sell to us, but needs more time. I do not have more time, as the people in Lynbrook are awaiting my response. I would be very happy owning either house, however I do not want to wait and end up not owning anything.

This is really driving me crazy and I need some advice. I do not want to force Gram to sell, as it is her house, but I kind of need a decision from her.

HELP! TIA!
nicolehojo Posted:

Re: What to do? LONG

I was in a similar situation recently... talk to the real estate, and let them know that your grandmother just needs a little bit more time... trust me, there are many houses on the market, this is a slow time of year... early summer is buisy for the market because people what to get in before school starts. talk and be honest with the realestate

MrsMadness Posted:

Re: What to do? LONG


Posted by nicolehojo

I was in a similar situation recently... talk to the real estate, and let them know that your grandmother just needs a little bit more time... trust me, there are many houses on the market, this is a slow time of year... early summer is buisy for the market because people what to get in before school starts. talk and be honest with the realestate



Thank you, I plan to do this tomorrow. I know I shouldn't feel bad, but I feel bad that I may have wasted this woman's time! DH thinks I am crazy.
RadioLau Posted:

Re: What to do? LONG

I feel like if you tell the real estate agent what is going on the house in Lynbrook will suddenly become cheaper.

Blu-ize Posted:

Re: What to do? LONG

Where will gram live if you buy it?

Preshy7 Posted:

Re: What to do? LONG

unfortunately it sounds like she is unsure-and if shes not totally 100% sure maybe you shouldnt buy it anyway...

i personally think you should go on with the other house and let someone else buy grandmas house

i dont like mixing family & business
MrsMadness Posted:

Re: What to do? LONG


Posted by Preshy7

unfortunately it sounds like she is unsure-and if shes not totally 100% sure maybe you shouldnt buy it anyway...

i personally think you should go on with the other house and let someone else buy grandmas house

i dont like mixing family & business



Thank you all for all of your suggestions. YOu really helped me to think things out. We have decided to put an offer on the Lynbrook house, and pending an inspection on Saturday, the house is ours! I am hesitant to get too excited because I know many things can happen before we sign the papers, but I am excited! Thanks again!
lulugrrl Posted:

Re: What to do? LONG


Posted by RadioLau

I feel like if you tell the real estate agent what is going on the house in Lynbrook will suddenly become cheaper.



I agree....

Reply to this topic

Log in to reply or quote a post.