I'm in the process of negotiating with the buyers of my prospective house. It turns out they don't want to move until December they are having a house built in Florida. Initially the realtor said Oct/Nov and if the husband received a good offer they would move sooner. But now they are not definitely moving until Dec which is 5 months away.
They said they would pay for any fees associated with extending the lock in rate of the mortgage now (July) but not move until December. They think it will be like 2K. I feel like this is not enough since compensation i.e, now I won't be able to move until after the holidays. I'm not sure if I should look into this or if I should just say forget it. Any feedback is appreciated. Oh and they don't want to pay us rent either.
Meg9-20-02
Posted:
Member since
Re: HELP!! Mortgage Rate Problem/Question
If you really want the house, try to negotiate with them. Are you going to have to pay any additional money besides fees to hold the mortgage rate? IMO, they should provide you more compensation than just paying those fees.
Fran M
Posted:
Member since
Re: HELP!! Mortgage Rate Problem/Question
Talk to your lender and see if its even possible to extend a rate that long. When we were shopping we were typically heard 45 day lock (if you pushed them) with one 30 - 45 day exten.
yabbobay
Posted:
Member since
Re: HELP!! Mortgage Rate Problem/Question
my sister is having a similar problem...so they are still actively looking and if they find something else...all binders will be off...
Jenn P
Posted:
Member since
Re: HELP!! Mortgage Rate Problem/Question
Fran's right; you probably won't be able to lock for that long. I've never heard of it. Good luck.
Lisa Rose
Posted:
Member since
Re: HELP!! Mortgage Rate Problem/Question
actually Kathi didnt close on her house for almost 6 months. Why not FM her and ask her how they handled it. She is also a real estate agent and she might have some insight!!
ILT1221
Posted:
Member since
Re: HELP!! Mortgage Rate Problem/Question
Thank you all.
Lisa which Kathi?
Sasha96
Posted:
Member since
Re: HELP!! Mortgage Rate Problem/Question
I too don't think you can lock the rate for that long. I think you only get one extension. I agree, find someone savvy who has been in the business for a while to see what some options may be for you. Is this a dream house at a dream price? Is there any way to let this linger for a bit and still back out (so you can look elsewhere) without loosing any money?
Kathi
Posted:
Member since
Re: HELP!! Mortgage Rate Problem/Question
This Kathi
We went into contract in April and didn't close until mid-November! But, we knew going into it that we were 'rolling the dice' with the rates. Thank God, for us, they went DOWN!!! We couldn't lock until September (we locked for 60 days). If you lock and extend, it'll cost plenty!!!
Our sellers were not willing to compensate us more than $500 for any 'fees' associated w/ extending, $2K isn't bad!! You may be able to lock for 60 and extend for 60 with a 1-point penalty, depending on the amount of your loan, it might make sense for you.
If you love the house, it might be worth the risk. You'll be able to lock in October. I have no idea where the rates will go in 3 months, but I can't imagine they'll go much above 6%.
Good luck in whatever you decide!
ILT1221
Posted:
Member since
Re: HELP!! Mortgage Rate Problem/Question
Kathi! Thank you that's really helpful. I'll keep you guys posted.