Had interview...Don't know what to do... UPDATE 8/25
beautyq115
Posted:
Member since
Had interview...Don't know what to do... UPDATE 8/25
I had the interview today...They are interviewing other people (which is not what I was told previously!)
It would be for 5th grade and I would be making $80 a day
The woman who I would be replacing is not due until September and then after she has the baby she has 6 weeks of disablity and then she can decide if she is coming back. Also if she decides NOT to come back my salary and benefits would not kick in for 3 months!! And of course I forgot to ask how much that would be I am so mad at myself!!
What the hell am I going to do??? I really hope that I don't get it so the decision is made for me!! __________________________________
Update...8/25....well of course I decide that I would take the job and THEY CALLED AND LEFT A MESSAGE SAYING I DIDN'T GET IT!! I am upset because now I still have nothing. I hope this was meant to be
Jen2999
Posted:
Member since
Re: Had interview...Don't know what to do... need advice please
I started out this past year in an extremely similiar situation. Luckily for me, she deiced not to come back and I had the full job for the year. If you are unsure and think subbing would be better then do it....then gaian you could take it and it would look awesome on your resume to have the leave replacement and then your could sub....?
Whatever happens and I tell myself this all the time even though I dont listen....everything has a way of working out.
stephanief
Posted:
Member since
Re: Had interview...Don't know what to do... need advice please
If you hope you don't get it, if they offer it to you tell them you're not interested. You need to do what's best for you
Good luck
beautyq115
Posted:
Member since
Re: Had interview...Don't know what to do... need advice please
Posted by stephanief
If you hope you don't get it, if they offer it to you tell them you're not interested. You need to do what's best for you
Good luck
But I am so afraid of not finding something else if I don't take it....this way if I DON'T GET IT then the decision is made BUT if I do then I have to make the decision
beautyq115
Posted:
Member since
Re: Had interview...Don't know what to do... need advice please
Posted by Jen2999
I started out this past year in an extremely similiar situation. Luckily for me, she deiced not to come back and I had the full job for the year. If you are unsure and think subbing would be better then do it....then gaian you could take it and it would look awesome on your resume to have the leave replacement and then your could sub....?
Whatever happens and I tell myself this all the time even though I dont listen....everything has a way of working out.
But I don't think subbing will be better..I think it will be worse because I won't be working every day I HATE MAKING DECISIONS!!
CC59
Posted:
Member since
Re: Had interview...Don't know what to do... need advice please
I think that if they offer it to you take it so you don't have to go back to your old school BUT still look around because something better might come up. Would the school have a job for you (as a sub or anything)if the lady does come back after six weeks?
Jen2999
Posted:
Member since
Re: Had interview...Don't know what to do... need advice please
Posted by beautyq115
Posted by Jen2999
I started out this past year in an extremely similiar situation. Luckily for me, she deiced not to come back and I had the full job for the year. If you are unsure and think subbing would be better then do it....then gaian you could take it and it would look awesome on your resume to have the leave replacement and then your could sub....?
Whatever happens and I tell myself this all the time even though I dont listen....everything has a way of working out.
But I don't think subbing will be better..I think it will be worse because I won't be working every day I HATE MAKING DECISIONS!!
Then take it. You have nothing to lose and also, you never know what may happen...sooo much changes, people leave, get pregnant etc.
If something else comes up before september than take it and even though it *****, oh well to the private school.....they will get someone else quickly enough
Seriosuly I felt the SAME way last year and didnt even like the district I interviewed at but I took it and it worked out great
Jen2999
Posted:
Member since
Re: Had interview...Don't know what to do... need advice please
also after the 3 monhts... so you get switched to salary.. that is important because toherwise you dont get paid for vacations and whatnot
beautyq115
Posted:
Member since
Re: Had interview...Don't know what to do... need advice please
Posted by CC59
I think that if they offer it to you take it so you don't have to go back to your old school BUT still look around because something better might come up. Would the school have a job for you (as a sub or anything)if the lady does come back after six weeks?
I am definetely NOT going back to my old school but they don't officially know that yet...they said there is a very good chance that she will not come back...but if she does that I could sub in their school
beautyq115
Posted:
Member since
Re: Had interview...Don't know what to do... need advice please
BUMPING for more advice!
Suzannebride
Posted:
Member since
Re: Had interview...Don't know what to do... need advice please
I don't know anything about teaching jobs, but do you get benefits as a sub? If not then it seems like the leave replacement is your best bet because it COULD turn into a job with benefits and is steady work. I hate making decisions and totally understand that you are hoping it will be made for you but it seems like this might be a good step?
LaurenluvsTJ
Posted:
Member since
Re: Had interview...Don't know what to do... need advice please
I am a little confused because it sounds like you are talking about a leave replacement but other people are mentioning subbing... If you have the choice of both, I would take the leave replacement. If she comes back, you can always sub then, schools are always looking for subs. If she doesn't come back, then would the job be yours or would they start interviewing again?
beautyq115
Posted:
Member since
Re: Had interview...Don't know what to do... need advice please
Posted by LaurenluvsTJ
I am a little confused because it sounds like you are talking about a leave replacement but other people are mentioning subbing... If you have the choice of both, I would take the leave replacement. If she comes back, you can always sub then, schools are always looking for subs. If she doesn't come back, then would the job be yours or would they start interviewing again?
It is a leave replacement BUT I am being paid as a sub...so no benefits and at a rate of $80 a day. It sounds like she isn't coming back BUT even if she didn't my salary and benefits would NOT kick in until the December or January!!
jes81276
Posted:
Member since
Re: Had interview...Don't know what to do... need advice please
To be completely honest with you I think I would take it. There is only one week before school starts and the chances of getting a position are slim to none (sad but true). Although you can sub and make a little more $, this is a position where you are in ONE building, and even better ONE classroom. There is a good chance that this teacher will take more time off. Then the class will be yours. Worst case scenario, you have more experience to add to your resume.
I am only speaking from experience....I took over a kindergarten class last March (making $85 a day) and this led to a probationary teaching position....with last year counting towards salary steps and tenure (I was a perm. sub before this)
Whatever you do - good luck! Believe me I know how you feel....but it is a foot in the door and that is how most people get their jobs on LI.
beautyq115
Posted:
Member since
Re: Had interview...Don't know what to do... need advice please
Posted by jes81276
To be completely honest with you I think I would take it. There is only one week before school starts and the chances of getting a position are slim to none (sad but true). Although you can sub and make a little more $, this is a position where you are in ONE building, and even better ONE classroom. There is a good chance that this teacher will take more time off. Then the class will be yours. Worst case scenario, you have more experience to add to your resume.
I am only speaking from experience....I took over a kindergarten class last March (making $85 a day) and this led to a probationary teaching position....with last year counting towards salary steps and tenure (I was a perm. sub before this)
Whatever you do - good luck! Believe me I know how you feel....but it is a foot in the door and that is how most people get their jobs on LI.
Thanks so much for the advice...I keep feeling like something else will come along...but it may not! This is why I am afraid
lulugrrl
Posted:
Member since
Re: Had interview...Don't know what to do... need advice please
well My FH STILL HAS NO TEACHING JOB...not even a good lead! SO he would prob. take that job, I told him its time to get a new profession, but teaching is what he loves...great, but if theres no job, what good does it do ya?
the teaching world is sooo frustrating!
Shellycakes123
Posted:
Member since
Re: Had interview...Don't know what to do... need advice please
what school is this. I would take it, there are no other jobs. Budgets are so tight right now! Get some experience, and if you love teaching you will enjoy yourself.
CC59
Posted:
Member since
Re: Had interview...Don't know what to do... need advice please
I keep feeling like something else will come along...but it may not! This is why I am afraid
you cna always take it and back out if something better comes along...my fingers are still crossed for you!!!!!!
beautyq115
Posted:
Member since
Re: Had interview...Don't know what to do... need advice please
Posted by CC59
I keep feeling like something else will come along...but it may not! This is why I am afraid
you cna always take it and back out if something better comes along...my fingers are still crossed for you!!!!!!
I know...thanks so much!!
SweetCin704
Posted:
Member since
Re: Had interview...Don't know what to do... need advice please
Kathleen, it just seems like you have so many doubts about this position. Something tells me you are leaning more towards saying NO, but are worried if that is your last hope. I'm like you too in that I'll play the yes/no in my head and work out all the scenarios but then be more confused than when I started. I'm sooo indecisive.
If no teaching position came up, are you able to temp (office work?) I was making good money this summer doing that & I believe after a certain amount of time (3 months or so) you actually get benefits. That's my fallback plan, yet I REALLY want to teach.
Is your cert in Elementary? What grade were you teaching last year?