with much thought, we decided to go with the honeymoon... the place we wanted to buy from gave us a lot of drama which made us decide to walk away from the deal. we also saw that although a place of our own is an investment, this place probably won't rake in the $$$ as much as a place closer to the city where we work. we're going to wait til after the wedding and honeymoon and find a better place by the end of the year. we're going to go to our *once in a lifetime* honeymoon and enjoy ourselves as MR. & MRS. D.
Thank you so much for all your advice ladies, it was a tough decision, but I know we will definitely be happier... there's a time and place for everything.. with all the crap the people from this place gave us, we realized that it's not worth it.
updated from: so FH and i were supposed to close on this new condo we've been after for the last few months now with 5% down and us covering like $15k of closing (which was estimated to be around $35k but the seller was giving a 20k concession towards closing). however, the mortgage company we were dealing with screwed us over and even after getting a mortgage commitment, the deal with them fell thru.
so the sponsors of the condo got a new mortgage broker and they're working out a way for us to put down 10% and have our closing covered...
BUT with 10% down and closing covered, we're paying and extra $8k out of pocket.
we can't borrow $ from our parents cos they're already helping a LOT to pay for the wedding.
the only thing to cut back on for us to afford the condo is our honeymoon...
if we cancel our DREAM HM to tahiti, moorea, bora bora, then we'd have the $11k to use for the condo.
do i... cancel on the house? or cancel on the HM? it's so depressing..i wish i could have both, but yeah that's life...
any advice?
markdea7699
Posted:
Member since
Re: major dilemma
thanks for all the feedback ladies.. i just came home from work so im gonna pass out.. i'm going to make my decision with FH early next week.. i'll keep you guys posted!
lillprincess54
Posted:
Member since
Re: major dilemma
we went to puerto rico and stayed in a 5 star hotel on the beach and had a amazing time including hotel and air fare was only $2200.00
. so i would say take the condo and do a smaller honey moon
Jamnike
Posted:
Member since
Re: major dilemma
cxl the HM....you can go next year...the house you will have forever
we just had the same dilema and we are very happy with choosing to do a small honeymoon now and getting a house and out of debt and going on our dream honeymoon in a few years
larsgirl98
Posted:
Member since
Re: major dilemma
I wish you could have both....i would go with the condo....if its a good deal go with it cause the way things are today...you never know if you will get the same thing again. i wish i could afford to buy something. with the money left use it toward a honeymoon somewhere else. im sure there is somewhere lovely to go to and you both will have a great time!
FutureMrsPD
Posted:
Member since
Re: major dilemma
definitely cancel the HM without a doubt...you wont regret that decision.
Mici n KC
Posted:
Member since
Re: major dilemma
Posted by wifetobe
Cancel the Honeymoon!!! Owning your own place is financially beneficial to you both for years and years... the honeymoon is short lived!! You can still afford a honeymoon,,just not that extravegant!!
BUY THE CONDO!!!!! Join the Homeowners world!!! It's a fun place to be!!! you won't regret it!!!!
Just for the tax benefit alone you'd be able to afford Bora Bora next year for 1 year anniversay!!!!
I completely agree! Can you use the leftover $3k from your HM to pay for the trip and just use money from your wedding to pay the difference? Can you put the $8k for your HM on a CC?
Princess Cut Bride
Posted:
Member since
Re: major dilemma
I know it's a hard decision to make. But like everyone said...you and Fh can go away anytime you want...you have the rest of your lives together. This is something really important. With the remaining $3,000 I'm sure you can go somewhere nice...and then next yr go to the original place.
Good luck! It will definitely be worth it in the end!
medic6809
Posted:
Member since
Re: major dilemma
Cnx honeymoon and get the house!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go away for a few days out of state to have a honeymoon, but trust me honeymoons end, home ownership doesn't and it's an awsome feeling owning your own home!
MrsEsther
Posted:
Member since
Re: major dilemma
a honey moon last a couple of days where a condo is a lifetime investment. you'll still get to go away with the cash remaining. You may enjoy your nice trip to tahiti even more next year when it will be all about your vacation. right now you have to worry about honeymoon, the wedding, finding a home to start your married life etc. In the begining it can be ruff so save that 'fabulous' honey moon for a special anniversary!
goodluck on your decision.
markdea7699
Posted:
Member since
Re: major dilemma *UPDATE*
*bump*
Shelly9697
Posted:
Member since
Re: major dilemma *UPDATE*
That is tough because I would want both too!! But if I had to choose I would do away with the honeymoon as well. Get settled and maybe in a year take a HM type vacation!! HTH!! Good luck!!