So now that you have a lien on it, how long would it take to resolve? I know it can take a while, but do you have any idea about the time frame?
tourist
Posted:
Member since
Re: Need hugs
Dude--you so called dibs! WIth money! and on paper! And I bet it was notarized, or witenessed by a lawyer or something. That's like super-dibs!
SuzBride
Posted:
Member since
Re: Need hugs
Posted by FallBride05
The house is yours correct? You shouldn't need to look for another house.
The house is ours - but now we have legal issues that need to be resolved. The builder is wrong, but it could take a LONG time in court for us to be awarded our house. That is why we are looking for a new home - cause we can't wait forever for that house (although we already waited a year ). The lawyer just told us it is a long process.
FallBride05
Posted:
Member since
Re: Need hugs
Posted by SuzBride
Posted by FallBride05
The house is yours correct? You shouldn't need to look for another house.
The house is ours - but now we have legal issues that need to be resolved. The builder is wrong, but it could take a LONG time in court for us to be awarded our house. That is why we are looking for a new home - cause we can't wait forever for that house (although we already waited a year ). The lawyer just told us it is a long process.
What about the $$$ you gave the builder??? Is that tied up too?
SuzBride
Posted:
Member since
Re: Need hugs
Posted by FallBride05
What about the $$$ you gave the builder??? Is that tied up too?
well if we decide to fight it - then the $$$ is tied up till it is resolved. If we don't fight it, then we can get our $$$ back right away. FFIL is in a tizzy (sp?) cause he was friends with the builder (WAS being the operative word) - so he said he would front us that money if we get a different house so we could still fight for the first house. Can anything EVER be easy
BellaEyes
Posted:
Member since
Re: Need hugs
I hear ya!
Mrs. dleeny
Posted:
Member since
Re: Need hugs
Posted by SuzBride
Posted by FallBride05
What about the $$$ you gave the builder??? Is that tied up too?
well if we decide to fight it - then the $$$ is tied up till it is resolved. If we don't fight it, then we can get our $$$ back right away. FFIL is in a tizzy (sp?) cause he was friends with the builder (WAS being the operative word) - so he said he would front us that money if we get a different house so we could still fight for the first house. Can anything EVER be easy
this is JMO but I would NOT give up so easily! if your house is worth $165K more now (like he's trying to get for it), don't give up! that is YOUR equity, not his! it's legally YOURS! and again, JMO but I would speak to another lawyer. sounds like the one you have is in cahoots with the builder to screw you.
good luck!!
SuzBride
Posted:
Member since
Re: Need hugs
Posted by dleeny
this is JMO but I would NOT give up so easily! if your house is worth $165K more now (like he's trying to get for it), don't give up! that is YOUR equity, not his! it's legally YOURS! and again, JMO but I would speak to another lawyer. sounds like the one you have is in cahoots with the builder to screw you.
good luck!!
thanks! Well it appraised for 80K more - so there is no way he would get 165K more anyway. All this just happened yesterday, so hopefully I will get better updates today. Yesterday was spent wallowing I told FH I think we need a new lawyer - maybe I will discuss that with him later
Mrs. dleeny
Posted:
Member since
Re: Need hugs
Posted by SuzBride
Posted by dleeny
this is JMO but I would NOT give up so easily! if your house is worth $165K more now (like he's trying to get for it), don't give up! that is YOUR equity, not his! it's legally YOURS! and again, JMO but I would speak to another lawyer. sounds like the one you have is in cahoots with the builder to screw you.
good luck!!
thanks! Well it appraised for 80K more - so there is no way he would get 165K more anyway. All this just happened yesterday, so hopefully I will get better updates today. Yesterday was spent wallowing I told FH I think we need a new lawyer - maybe I will discuss that with him later
well good luck and def do not GIVE UP! and that $80K is your equity. definitely worth hanging on to it and fighting for!
nylibride
Posted:
Member since
Re: Need hugs
I'm so sorry for your house-headache! But...I'm seriously missing something here. You signed a contract and gave money. YOU OWN the house! (NOT the builder). This would be as random as your mechanic sticking a for sale sign on your car. It's totally outrageous. Definitely don't give up!!!! You already own the house--it's not his to sell! I'd definitely consult another lawyer--one that specializes in housing maybe??
Good luck, and again, I'm soooooo sorry you're dealing with this. Having just bought a house (without the peole trying to sell it out from under us) was enough of an adventure without throwing in shady people.
palebride
Posted:
Member since
Re: Need hugs
that stinks!!!!!
SuzBride
Posted:
Member since
Re: Need hugs
Update Again: OK it isn't a lien we put on the house - it is something else (I just have no grasp on legal terminology ). Pretty much the lawyer said the builder was trying to sell it really quick out from under us, cause if he sold it to someone else and they moved in before we caught on, it would be hard for us to get the house back even though it is legally ours (something with possession blah blah blah). Luckily for us, we visited the house every week to see updates, so we caught on quickly. So once the builder gets word that we know and are taking legal action, he will hopefully just let us have our house. If not, the lawyer said it could be resolved quickly or take up to 3 years GRRRRR!
JanuaryBride06
Posted:
Member since
Re: Need hugs
Wow, I hope that this gets settled sooner than that.
nylibride
Posted:
Member since
Re: Need hugs
I hope it gets resolved quickly! Good luck and keep us posted.