Post New Topic

To book or not to book now?? with Poll

MaureenM618 Posted:

To book or not to book now?? with Poll

Okay. I'm driving myself crazy!!! I was just curious about what everyone thinks I should do. I plan to get married in Sept 2009. I know we have a lot of time but I've heard there are advantages to booking early. I think I want to book something by the end of this month but I keep changing my mind. One day I want to book and the next day I'm thinking we still have plenty of time and it may be better to wait. If we book now I heard we can save a lot of money by locking in our price. Also it will be easier for us to save and pay for wedding if we have a commitment to something. Money hanging around in the savings account can be too tempting, lol. Then I think we have plenty of time, why rush. A lot can happen in 21/2-3 years. What if we have financial problems, break up (not likely but you never know) or just find somewhere we like better. What would you do????? I know I'm a pain in the butt and everyone is probably like urggg it's her again. Sorry.

Kara and Todd Posted:

Re: To book or not to book now?? with Poll

I voted wait b/c you are obviously conflicted.

Wait until you're sure. You have almost 3 years to go -- there is enough time to figure it all out before you book!

ETA - Why lock yourself into a contract if you're not REALLY sure?
cindyandkevin Posted:

Re: To book or not to book now?? with Poll

Don't apologize for asking 'too many' questions, that's what we're here for!!

Have you found a hall that you're in love with yet? If so, then I'd say book it and get this year's price locked in. If not, then I'd say go ahead and look but keep your options open. Since you do have so much time you're allowed the freedom of taking things at a slower pace, but just be careful bc the next thing you know things start to move faster and suddenly you're running out of time!!!!

ssdbk Posted:

Re: To book or not to book now?? with Poll

If I were in your shoes, I would probably gather a lot of info now, but wait to book. I'd check out halls, get an idea of what styles I like, etc. Then I'd set a date to get more serious about booking. But expect the rates to possibly go up from the prices you get now.

MaureenM618 Posted:

Re: To book or not to book now?? with Poll

Well, we found a couple that we really like. I'd say our top choices in that order are:

Larkfield Manor
Westbury Manor
Leonard's
Metropolitan

Fiance only really likes the top two with him leaning more toward Larkfield. The problem for us is that we have a very tight budget and pretty much live almost paycheck to paycheck. I don't want the prices to go up any higher because I already have to negotiate the prices they gave me down a bit. If it will really save us money we need to book now.
kat74 Posted:

Re: To book or not to book now?? with Poll

I voted for you to wait. If money is an issue than waiting could actually result in a higher price per person at the hall-- BUT you have to keep in mind that they are going to require a lot of money to hold your date... It's usually not simply a small down payment.... speak to them and see if they are going to require a substantial amount within 6 months of booking... my hall made us pay a decent amount rather quickly!!! You don't want them holding onto your money for over 2 years!!! Basically figure out which place you want--- how much you are going to need for the down payment & start saving-- when you feel like you are better prepared-- then book sometime next year. You'll still get a good price.... And don't forget to haggle!!! Everything is negotiable-- that's one thing I figured out with all this wedding stuff.
just my opinion
MaureenM618 Posted:

Re: To book or not to book now?? with Poll

We definately would have booked Larkfield already but I'm nervous about the distance and I know everyone has already told me if people want to be there they'll come but I would like everyone to come. Also comparing these halls we feel that we get the most for our money at Larkfield.

MaureenM618 Posted:

Re: To book or not to book now?? with Poll

Westbury and Larkfield told us it would be $500 deposit and that we can work out a payment plan to pay off the balance, whatever we can afford because we are booking so far in advance. We already have our $500 deposit sitting in the bank
kat74 Posted:

Re: To book or not to book now?? with Poll

Where would everyone be traveling from to get to Larkfield? And what day of the week is your wedding date?

kat74 Posted:

Re: To book or not to book now?? with Poll

You have FM

MaureenM618 Posted:

Re: To book or not to book now?? with Poll

Our guests will be coming from the Bronx and Queens. Also a couple OOT's from CT and MA. We're looking at a Sat or Sun afternoon.

MaureenM618 Posted:

Re: To book or not to book now?? with Poll

Didn't get your FM???
kat74 Posted:

Re: To book or not to book now?? with Poll

Well, Westbury is closer by about 20-25 minutes-- but that is really up to you-- which place do you love? If its an afternoon than it wont be that hard for the people to make the trip to Suffolk and back.

ETA-- did you get the FM now?
MaureenM618 Posted:

Re: To book or not to book now?? with Poll

Yeah I got it. I guess the drive won't be so bad for an afternoon wedding. I have to double check something with the halls now though. Thanks!!

BunnyBride Posted:

Re: To book or not to book now?? with Poll

I say wait. You have so much time yet! Why put your self in that kind of financial difficulty?

heatherandrichie Posted:

Re: To book or not to book now?? with Poll

JMO-but no way would I book. I was positive I was having a back yard wedding, despite what everyone said. Until I found the country club. Sweetie, there is so much time left. Please wait. I see girls on here all the time that have changed their mind and ask what they should tell their photographer about cancelling, etc. Please wait!

portjeffbride Posted:

Re: To book or not to book now?? with Poll

wait.... for numerous reasons.

as you mentioned, potential financial hardships or other things may occur. Why not open a joint account and each agree to deposit a certain amount each month, with no one ever accessing it?

Other than the 'anything could happen to you', anything could ALSO happen to the reception hall. Change of management / chef /ownership... 2 years is a long time!

Also you could fall out of love with your reception hall. Many brides have second thoughts on one of their vendors or their gown.... and frequently it's becuase the made a decision really early on....

hope this helps!
jax1023 Posted:

Re: To book or not to book now?? with Poll

Wait!!! Even if its only 6 months or so. Save money now and keep it in a CD that earns high interest.

AllJoy Posted:

Re: To book or not to book now?? with Poll


Posted by jax1023

Wait!!! Even if its only 6 months or so. Save money now and keep it in a CD that earns high interest.



Great Idea!!
PegaLega Posted:

Re: To book or not to book now?? with Poll


Posted by Kara and Todd

I voted wait b/c you are obviously conflicted.

Wait until you're sure. You have almost 3 years to go -- there is enough time to figure it all out before you book!

ETA - Why lock yourself into a contract if you're not REALLY sure?



I agree

Reply to this topic

Log in to reply or quote a post.