Post New Topic

what should I do???

Kelbear Posted:

what should I do???

Ok the thing is I booked with miller place inn a few months ago and just found out they have new owners. I don't know if it's just me but don't you think someone should have informed us about the change in owners? We found out when they put an ad in the paper. I am a little upset since one of the things we loved was the staff and they made us feel comfortable and now I don't even know the new owners. Any idea's on what I should do like calling and asking to meet with them. Thanks
BrideChrissy Posted:

Re: what should I do???

I would definitley call and meet with them. The owners may have changed but the staff may remain the same. I would call just to find out what is going on and also to find out if they are even making changes to the hall.

bride2b24 Posted:

Re: what should I do???

i would def bring this to the attention of the new owners or BM.....you never know maybe they didnt change staff just the owners.....express your concerns and that you are unhappy that you found out from a third party.....hey maybe they'll throw in some freebies!

Shorty McBride Posted:

Re: what should I do???

Yes, I would call and express your concern, and make an appointment to meet. Maybe even ask for a food tasting? I don't know why they didn't contact you?
Bigbroad555 Posted:

Re: what should I do???

Usually when a place gets new owners, that has been in the works for a while. The new owners usually keeps the staff on board and also brings on a few other people...

In this case they will probably keep the staff, but I would make an appt to do a sit down to make sure the staff is staying it is your wedding and you want to be happy .. If there is new staff you'll probably want to meet the new staffing..

Vicky423 Posted:

Re: what should I do???

I would call and meet with them. They most likely kept the staff and so on, but they might change policies or rules and that might affect you.

Mrs_C_in_'07 Posted:

Re: what should I do???

I would def call and ask to meet with them. Tell them you just wanted to meet to be reassured that all will be the same and what you envisioned for your wedding will still happen even though they've expereinced an internal change.

brittny817 Posted:

Re: what should I do???

Don't get too stressed but absolutely call and make an appointment to meet the new BM and maybe even the Maitre D? Ask if they are changing the menu and culinary staff.

Missladybug15 Posted:

Re: what should I do???

i would definitely give them a call and maybe go to meet with the new owners

camposal Posted:

Re: what should I do???

Definitely meet them. You should go over your contract and make sure they are still sticking with it.

PegaLega Posted:

Re: what should I do???

CALL!!!!!!
You dont want to let this go too long, if you do it now they HAVE to tell you what and if they are making changes! Stinks that no one told you but definitely call and meet with them, you might be more comfortable with the new owners!

Good Luck
newnybride2be Posted:

Re: what should I do???

Okay so now I am extremely mad....

Back in Nov. FH and I informed the hall that we were no longer having the wedding there and we requested the refund of the $5000 that we had already put down. We were told that we need to wait to see if the date would be booked and that we should wait until after xmas. Well FH followed up again in Feb and was told that it still hasnt been booked. He decided to call back yesterday and finds out that its under new ownership and that they would have to research it.

Well FH called back today to find out that they dont even have a COPY OF THE FREAKIN CONTRACT!!! OH and then the guy proceeds to advise my FH that he should seek legal advice.


I am sooooo mad right now. I dont know what to do.
bride2b24 Posted:

Re: what should I do???


Posted by newnybride2be

Okay so now I am extremely mad....

Back in Nov. FH and I informed the hall that we were no longer having the wedding there and we requested the refund of the $5000 that we had already put down. We were told that we need to wait to see if the date would be booked and that we should wait until after xmas. Well FH followed up again in Feb and was told that it still hasnt been booked. He decided to call back yesterday and finds out that its under new ownership and that they would have to research it.

Well FH called back today to find out that they dont even have a COPY OF THE FREAKIN CONTRACT!!! OH and then the guy proceeds to advise my FH that he should seek legal advice.


I am sooooo mad right now. I dont know what to do.




im sorry this is happening..i. would def either talk to a lawyer..... i know....or just go down there and threaten them with legal action

Reply to this topic

Log in to reply or quote a post.