I'm Backing out of JA's and Booking CB before it's too Late...
Original post by aliasPook
I have finally come to a decision. (Pending Fi's approval of the video from the place) I am getting back my deposit from John Anthony's and booking Chateau Briand...
This was the hardest decision I have had to make so far. First of all, I had myself convinced that I would hate the place (CB) before I had even stepped in there. I wanted my hall off to the side of a deserted road, not on Old Country Road. Secondly, my friends all had me convinced it was very glass and marble-y...it's not. It was art deco. It was different and I liked different.
Next. Tom Wright, the Banquet Manager...OMG...
this
man
is
wonderful!
!!!!!!!!!
He not only matched my price, but he threw in some extras AND he made my menu from JA's match the menu they were offering and I won't have to reprint my menu cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Only my reception cards!!!!!! And he gave me the 1/2 of hospitality and he gave me one extra course. They were so nice to work with and so understanding.
The only things now that I have to worry about are fi's approval, centerpieces which JA's threw in and the reception cards. However, I would be dealing with 5 months of pure stress of will they or won't they be open...
I have had the absolute worst week that I have had since the whole robbery thing in March~(some of you may remember that thread...) My stepsister who lost the baby now has to start Chemo becasue she has cancer cells from the tumor, they found out my wonderful stepfather may have cancer, my tire blew out this morning, my hall is closing 5 months before my wedding....shall I continue? I can not afford to stress every day over what is going to happen to my wedding money if they were to close.
I know I was one of the more positive ones who booked JA's/HC, but really, one person can only handle so much in a week.
So I am calling tomorrow and getting back my deposit... Atleast I found another place that I kinda like, right?
PS: Shamma, LizLen and Latina511, TOm had nothign but wonderful things to say about all of you.
MrsBtoBe2005
Posted:
Member since
Re: I'm Backing out of JA's and Booking CB before it's too Late...
I'm so happy that things worked out for you. Congratulations on your decision. Your wedding will be amazing at CB!
franksbride
Posted:
Member since
Re: I'm Backing out of JA's and Booking CB before it's too Late...
Congrats...I know this was a hard decision but I think you made the right one!!!
Good Luck to you!!!
nylisa
Posted:
Member since
Re: I'm Backing out of JA's and Booking CB before it's too Late...
I am so sorry all these things have been happening to you. I am glad though that you found another reception place that you love. Just remember that the most important people that day are you and Brian.
smooch
Posted:
Member since
Re: I'm Backing out of JA's and Booking CB before it's too Late...
So sorry about your hard times. But you have a level head and it seems like you can (and have) gotten through anything. Good luck!
michele31
Posted:
Member since
Re: I'm Backing out of JA's and Booking CB before it's too Late...
I think switching is a good idea. Nothing against JA's but it is taking a chance and one that will just add to an already very stressful situation.
I hope you and your family feel much better soon.
July2004Bride
Posted:
Member since
Re: I'm Backing out of JA's and Booking CB before it's too Late...
aliasPook,
I'm glad you have finally made your decision. Good luck with all the rest of your planning.
As for me, I am still undecided. Although, I did go to JA's personally last night and I have to say, after sitting down and speaking with Patty and Angelo, I feel much better about the whole situation. I am now leaning more towards staying than leaving. My final decision is soon to come..
Jimsbride
Posted:
Member since
Re: I'm not settling-JA's Bride
I spoke with someone at John Anthony's to go over my concerns regarding the article in newsday. Being a legal secretary I have a little knowledge of the situation.. I became totally comfortable with all of the answers I was given. It was explained to me that unfortunately the argument between family members is what caused this company to take route. PS. Take the time to read up on Chapter 11 and you will see that it shelters a company instead of weakening it. This past week, my maid of honor was also shopping for a wedding and I went with her to a hall I won't mention. She and I found it extremely unprofessional the way they tried to get the booking, not knowing that I was a John Anthony's bride. I am going to give John Anthony's the benefit of the doubt. After attending two affairs, I chose them because of the awsome service and food. I won't settle my wedding day for second choice and I feel that it is ridiculous how these people don't realize what they have.
112903
Posted:
Member since
Re: I'm Backing out of JA's and Booking CB before it's too Late...
Congrats on booking CB. I think the inside is gorgeous!!!!
Decemberbrd
Posted:
Member since
Re: I'm not settling-JA's Bride
I totally agree. We looked everywhere and fell in love with JA. I spoke with them a number of times and an attorney. The restaurants are not filing for Chapter 11. They are not out of business nor in danger of going out of business. Yet, there is no guarantee for any business to stay in business. What will happen now is that the restaurants are going to be independent of this holding company. I also spoke with our DJ and they said that there is nothing to worry about. They do enough business there a week that if their not worried, we shouldn’t be either. Our DJ company also said that this is an issue that has being going on for quite sometime within the family and is just now coming to light. Worse case – JA, Coco’s and the rest do go under for some reason. Places like that are extremely hard to come by esp. their location and being on Long Island. They will get bought out and run just as professionally as they are now. The North Ritz for example was bought out and is just as great if not better then its predecessor. Unless anything else happens, I too am staying at JA for my December 2004 wedding. Everyone needs to do what they are comfortable with. Good Luck to all!! If you’re on the fence with your decision, talk to as many professionals as you can not just friends and family members, then make your decision! Good Luck again.
jillnbrad
Posted:
Member since
Re: I'm Backing out of JA's and Booking CB before it's too Late...
Laurie-I am so sorry for all that you are going through You made the right decision
aliasPook
Posted:
Member since
Re: I'm Backing out of JA's and Booking CB before it's too Late...
I am very happy, I am going to get my deposit back on Saturday.
For all the people that are staying, I complelety understand. If my wedding wasn't so close, I would have waited it out as well. But I am at that mid-point between my wedding being close and my wedding being far away.
And also, most of the halls I checked with were either booked for my day or too small to accomodate all of my guests.
And welcome JIMSBRIDE~you are just about to approach your one year mark!
cw0904
Posted:
Member since
Re: I'm Backing out of JA's and Booking CB before it's too Late...
AliasPook sorry for all that has happened to you lately. Congrats on choosing CB. You are in good hands. I am sure this is for the best for you and your FH. CB is my place too.
cynthia
Posted:
Member since
Re: I'm Backing out of JA's and Booking CB before it's too Late...
Yeah Laurie, Yeah! Doesn't it feel nice not to stress over THAT anymore? I sure hope everything else works out with your family...I know, when it rains it pours. I'll be thinking about ya...keep in touch.
And p.s. I just read over our old JA's bankrupcy post....um, what's with the name calling and comments? Looks like a to me....
But no matter, we will all do what our hearts tells us and feel very comfortable with that decision... Best of luck in your decision making process....
aliasPook
Posted:
Member since
Re: I'm Backing out of JA's and Booking CB before it's too Late...
I know, people can be so rude! Don't worry about teh menu. I will call yuo tomorrow after I get my deposit back.
pschica
Posted:
Member since
Re: I'm Backing out of JA's and Booking CB before it's too Late...
i just read this after your other post on nwr and thought my goodness, when it rains it pours doesn't it?? - wanted to wish you good luck and lots of
Diane
Posted:
Member since
Re: I'm Backing out of JA's and Booking CB before it's too Late...
good for you. I can imagine that being a very hard decision to make
christy
Posted:
Member since
Re: I'm Backing out of JA's and Booking CB before it's too Late...
it sounds like you made an excellent decision!
Sweetpea
Posted:
Member since
Re: I'm Backing out of JA's and Booking CB before it's too Late...
I also backed out of john anthony's and I swithched to Chateau briand. It is a big relief off my shoulders. Now I can finish planning. And best of all I got the same date.
jenny2penny
Posted:
Member since
Re: I'm Backing out of JA's and Booking CB before it's too Late...
was john anthonys willing to refund your deposit???
July2004Bride
Posted:
Member since
Re: I'm Backing out of JA's and Booking CB before it's too Late...
Jenny2Penny - I actually decided to back out of JA's as well and to answer your question - Yes, I got my full deposit back. Why do you ask?