Post New Topic

should i cancel?

Jna2010 Posted:

Re: should i cancel?


Posted by rocketsummer17

push it back a year and ask for some help from your parents
eta (i hit submit before i was done!!) I am really sorry Fh lost his job, what field is he in, i can keep my eyes open



ITA, sorry to hear this
RitasEngaged Posted:

Re: should i cancel?


Posted by MrsC2010

i wouldn't cancel altogether...i agree with maybe pushing it back or asking for help if you feel comfortable.



ITA sorry for your FH
soontobecruz Posted:

Re: should i cancel?

First off, I am so sorry to hear this about your FH

I would do everything you can to cut costs and maybe scale down what you can. Then I would accept the help your parents offered. If they offered and you didn't ask. Then I would let them, you can always pay them back when things turn around for you and your FH.

Good luck
skinny237 Posted:

Re: should i cancel?

I wouldn't cancel it. It's only January and your wedding isn't until the fall so you have some time for him to find a job and at least he still has his job until the end of the school year. Sit down w/ your family and try to figure out what u can pay for and what things u may need help with. Also, try to look at all areas of the wedding and see what things can be scaled back. (Example, do u really need expensive favors/ can the RH provide the cake for no extra cost/ scale back HM plans for now/ look for BM jewelry now (clearance stuff from last fall still in Macy's/ can u borrow a card box/ can u do DIY invites or get less expensive ones from Target)/ JMO!

KerriJohnS Posted:

Re: should i cancel?

Oh so sorry to hear this.
I wouldn't cancel just yet.. you have some time and he might find a new job soon! Gotta keep your head up!
If need be and they offered then you should accept help from your parents. There's nothing wrong with accepting some help with things. Also you can try to cut corners. Think about even maybe moving the wedding to a Fri or Sun, go with roses for flowers as I hear they are actually less expensive, have the BM's carry 1 single flower instead of a Bo-k...etc.
If all that doesn't work out then you can postpone it for a few months or a year.
Good Luck! Sorry to hear the news.
AdriandSteve Posted:

Re: should i cancel?

i agree. Perhaps see if you can find a date or day that might be a little cheaper and do those thoughts that others mentioned.

It is good that he has another 5 months to look for a job though.

I would accept some $ from my parents and downgrade other things that aren't necessary and then pay my parents back as soon as possible.

Keep your head up...
kbh120983 Posted:

Re: should i cancel?

Sorry to hear about FH job. The economy is horrible right now. I was sort of in the same position. We were suppose to get married this June 2009. But, I'm not working right now, I'm a full time student and my parents are paying for the majority of the wedding. But, FH and I felt that it was putting a lot of pressure on us and our family as it grew closer so we changed our wedding to June 2010. I have mixed emotions, I'm sad because we had set our day and everything but now that we changed it, it's like a weight has been lifted off everyone's shoulders. Good luck with whatever you decide.

dutchessev Posted:

Re: should i cancel?

Take the help

God willing he will find a job soon then you can pay them back. Also cut cost any way you can.

Yankees2323 Posted:

Re: should i cancel?


Posted by stinenandy2010

first so sorry to hear about that! it really depends on your financial situation, can you afford to pay on one salary? do you feel comfortable taking the money from your parents?

a part of me feels like telling you just get married, its just a few months away. but on the other hand, its a stinky situation to be in and you should save the money bc you don't know what will happen over the next few months.





ITA, sorry about your FH....
tonysbride09 Posted:

Re: should i cancel?

I was in a similar situation. Mom was going to pay for the reception and we were going to pay for everything else. Then she got laid off after 19yrs. What we did was change our friday night wedding to a sunday afternoon and saved $5000 off the bat. We're having ceremony and reception at RH so we're not paying for limos. We have a tight budget and are sticking to it. Sometimes I feel bad b/c I can't purchase some of the things I really wanted but I don't want to get into so much debt either.

You still have plenty of time. Keep your date but cut back on the extras. We're going to splurge on our HM which we'll be going on next year (again b/c costs) but it will be worth it.
FutureMrsG Posted:

Re: should i cancel?

Take Mom and Dad's help if they offered.

SummerBride10 Posted:

Re: should i cancel?

I'm sorry to hear that! I wouldnt cancel right away...maybe consider pushing it back a year. Wait a few weeks and see how the job hunt goes for FH.
Camroy Posted:

Re: should i cancel?

I agree with a lot of the other ladies. You still have a lot of time. If your parents agree to help, you could always offer to pay them back. Not sure how much you've booked and what money you would lose. Though without knowing all of the factors it is really hard to tell what is the best decision for you. Sorry about your FH's job. Oh...and I love your screen name.

stargazerlily Posted:

Re: should i cancel?

Thanks everybody....i think i am going to take a lot of that advice. Keep the date, scale back, ask my parents to help only if we need, save as much as we can before the end of the school year (which we were going to do anyway), and pay my parents back if we need.

ilana101 Posted:

Re: should i cancel?

i'm sorry to hear that, fh lost his job about 3 months ago, it is the worst feeling in the world! i agree with past posts that if help is being offered take it. hopefully things will turn around soon,for everybody that is being laid off.

christineafeth Posted:

Re: should i cancel?

I would take the help. But if you really dont want to, may just push the wedding to a later date.

vnv126 Posted:

Re: should i cancel?

So sorry to hear about FH job.

I wouldn't cancel....Try to look for a different date or different month that might be cheaper like if your wedding is on a Saturday do it on a Friday or Sunday afternoon (always cheaper). Try to do centerpieces, menu and program on your own. It's not hard! Don't hire a wedding coordinator or getting extra things for the wedding. Try to go to the trunk show for dresses (they do bargain and you will find dresses for a cheaper price.....I went to one and I find my BM dress for a cheap price)

As for your parents, take their help.....and pay them back later on...I am sure if they offer, they wont mind.


Maegan115 Posted:

Re: should i cancel?

I am so sorry to hear that...
I think that you are living many of our worst nightmares, especially at this time.

Personally, I would not go cancelling just yet. If he is a licensed teacher, who has some years in, he should be able to get something. Especially being a male, I teach elementary school and my principal always snaps up the males! Stay positive and good luck!!!
Deeglasser Posted:

Re: should i cancel?

it depends...
i feel like if FH and i were paying for our own wedding and he lost his job and could no longer afford it we would change the plans and have a wedding reception type bbq- very low key- at my parent's house. i would not go into debt over my wedding... i'm in too much debt already with student loans!!!
Ednkim4eva Posted:

Re: should i cancel?

It really depends on their financial situation.

I would, however, postpone the wedding a year. It will make your fiance and you feel better about this difficult situation.

My FH and I did decided to move the wedding a year away and it made our planning so much more enjoyable. It also took off a big burden on us. I was really nervous about contacting our vendors, but they were wonderful.

Good Luck

Reply to this topic

Log in to reply or quote a post.