So... The plan now is Get an apartment by end of July or beginning August... Move things slowly... FH will move into the new apt first... then after the wedding i will move... and then 1yr later we will get a house...
BUTi was looking at houses... prices... and Oh boy I am loving some prices.... So im debaitng now, Should we switch plans... and perhaps just start to look for houses... like HEY just Give it a try.. If it works out GOOD if not, Then its ok... Like look for houses... and check to see if u get pre approved or not...
What you think?
Im starting to imagine my Marriage life now in a house... instead of doing a big move to an apt n then another big moneht in one yr to the house... Im starting to imagine organize/decorate my house the way I want to decorate it... n knowing after our marriage we will come back to 'Our Home'...
Share your ideas/thoughts Please?
Thanks!
legalchef
Posted:
Member since
Re: Should we wait or give it a try?
at least find out what you could get approved for... you have nothing to lose by at least looking into it!
Moonmist09
Posted:
Member since
Re: Should we wait or give it a try?
it could go either way. depending on where you are, its definately a buyers market right now. why not go and see how much you will get preapproved for and see how much you have in savings for the down payment. once you have that, take it from there and see what you can get. if it doesn't work out, rent. its not the end of the world to move once again after your married. you never know, you may not like where you decide to rent initially and have to move anyway.
pjc92980
Posted:
Member since
Re: Should we wait or give it a try?
it def cant hurt to look now...as long as you guys have the money for it and agree on an area then why wait! The market is getting better so in a year the prices wont be as good...may as well save yourself from making two moves and see what is available.
if it is meant to be you'll find something now and it will work out perfectly...if not then you are meant to live in an apt for a year and move into a house a year later.
VCanizalez
Posted:
Member since
Re: Should we wait or give it a try?
Posted by Moonmist09
it could go either way. depending on where you are, its definately a buyers market right now. why not go and see how much you will get preapproved for and see how much you have in savings for the down payment. once you have that, take it from there and see what you can get. if it doesn't work out, rent. its not the end of the world to move once again after your married. you never know, you may not like where you decide to rent initially and have to move anyway.
... yeah... I am just DUMB as hell... and Where do I cehck if I am preapprove?? Sorry
Danielle41209
Posted:
Member since
Re: Should we wait or give it a try?
definitely get pre-approved first so you know what you're working with... It can't hurt to look now. You have a lot of negotiating power right now. See what's out there and what you and FH like! Goof luck and have fun!!!
VCanizalez
Posted:
Member since
Re: Should we wait or give it a try?
Posted by pjc92980
it def cant hurt to look now...as long as you guys have the money for it and agree on an area then why wait! The market is getting better so in a year the prices wont be as good...may as well save yourself from making two moves and see what is available.
if it is meant to be you'll find something now and it will work out perfectly...if not then you are meant to live in an apt for a year and move into a house a year later.
U think The market is getting betteR???
HSsweethearts
Posted:
Member since
Re: Should we wait or give it a try?
It really depends. Can you afford a downpayment on a house AND the wedding? Plus there are a lot of extra costs with a house. You should really sit down and think about what kind of DP you'd need in addition to othr costs. Also, how much insurance, taxes, and utilities would cost per month.
For us it made sense to wait a year or two and stay in an apartment. We are paying for the wedding outselves, so there goes any chance at a down payment. Plus I really don't think we can handle being saddled with a mortgage and all of those extra bills I mentioned in addition to everything we need to buy.
Just moving into the apartment I can't tell you how much money we've spent at BBB and Home Depot and we have a lot more to go. With a house you'll likely have even more expenses fixing it up if it's not a new house. Plus I don't know your situation, but we need to buy bedroom and dining room furniture, some other assorted furniture, bedding, lots of stuff we didn't get from the registry and air conditioners and that's going to be over $10K when you add it all up.
I guess if we had parents paying for the wedding and furniture we could take it on, but it just seems like a LOT
Definitely look into both. You can go to a mortgage broker to find out what you will be approved for. Take that amount and see if you would be able to buy a decent home in the area that you like with what you and FH have in your savings. If you think you can swing it then I would say that buying is the way to go.
The thing to remember is do not get frustrated!! FH and I went to get approved for a mortgage and when we started looking at houses everything in our price range needed SOOO much work that we just couldn't afford to buy a house and pay for the wedding. We ended up opting to buy a co-op because they are cheaper but they are still an investment ya know?
Good luck in whatever route you end up going!!
Jenn7982
Posted:
Member since
Re: Should we wait or give it a try?
look into it now, if you can pull it off intrests rates are great right now. they are projected to go up at the end of 2011....or early 2012
legalchef
Posted:
Member since
Re: Should we wait or give it a try?
yup, the market is starting to shift, and prices and interest rates are going to start going up soon.
mybabylovesmoi
Posted:
Member since
Re: Should we wait or give it a try?
Posted by HSsweethearts
It really depends. Can you afford a downpayment on a house AND the wedding? Plus there are a lot of extra costs with a house. You should really sit down and think about what kind of DP you'd need in addition to othr costs. Also, how much insurance, taxes, and utilities would cost per month.
For us it made sense to wait a year or two and stay in an apartment. We are paying for the wedding outselves, so there goes any chance at a down payment. Plus I really don't think we can handle being saddled with a mortgage and all of those extra bills I mentioned in addition to everything we need to buy.
Just moving into the apartment I can't tell you how much money we've spent at BBB and Home Depot and we have a lot more to go. With a house you'll likely have even more expenses fixing it up if it's not a new house. Plus I don't know your situation, but we need to buy bedroom and dining room furniture, some other assorted furniture, bedding, lots of stuff we didn't get from the registry and air conditioners and that's going to be over $10K when you add it all up.
I guess if we had parents paying for the wedding and furniture we could take it on, but it just seems like a LOT
great advice, ITA. You need a downpayment and you need cash on hand for stuff you wouldn't think would go wrong. everrrrything adds up. I never knew how much stuff costs in a house. even if you get preapproved for a certain amount, DON'T use it all.
Marco and I were preapproved for a nice amount and people (realtors etc) will try to get you to go to the high end so that they benefit. Our realtor kept saying we could afford more etc, but FH and I knew yes, we COULD but only if we cut out like basically EVERYTHING else! We wanted a modest first home and we didn't want to struggle to make the mortgage.
There are wants and there are needs so DOOON'T fall in love with something out of your range. You can always upgrade in 10 years which is our plan.
You can meet with brokers and even go to open houses which will give you a better idea of how much you can afford.
Also, don't forget the utilities...hundreds of extra dollars tacked on to your mortgage!
rosatemp
Posted:
Member since
Re: Should we wait or give it a try?
Posted by legalchef
at least find out what you could get approved for... you have nothing to lose by at least looking into it!
ITA! It doesn't hurt to try
merbride
Posted:
Member since
Re: Should we wait or give it a try?
yes start now if you can!
IrishAli
Posted:
Member since
Re: Should we wait or give it a try?
It doesn't hurt to look and get Pre approval to know what you could afford
Tink1118
Posted:
Member since
Re: Should we wait or give it a try?
Posted by HSsweethearts
It really depends. Can you afford a downpayment on a house AND the wedding? Plus there are a lot of extra costs with a house. You should really sit down and think about what kind of DP you'd need in addition to othr costs. Also, how much insurance, taxes, and utilities would cost per month.
For us it made sense to wait a year or two and stay in an apartment. We are paying for the wedding outselves, so there goes any chance at a down payment. Plus I really don't think we can handle being saddled with a mortgage and all of those extra bills I mentioned in addition to everything we need to buy.
Just moving into the apartment I can't tell you how much money we've spent at BBB and Home Depot and we have a lot more to go. With a house you'll likely have even more expenses fixing it up if it's not a new house. Plus I don't know your situation, but we need to buy bedroom and dining room furniture, some other assorted furniture, bedding, lots of stuff we didn't get from the registry and air conditioners and that's going to be over $10K when you add it all up.
I guess if we had parents paying for the wedding and furniture we could take it on, but it just seems like a LOT
ITA! We crunched all of the numbers and it made sense for us to buy a co-op before we got engaged, and then start saving for a ring/wedding.
You have to work all the numbers and figure out what is best for you, it's a lot to do all at once.
I know there are a lot of girls who have bought places before, so we will totally help with and questions you have
Good luck!
TheEyesOfMarch
Posted:
Member since
Re: Should we wait or give it a try?
I can't hurt to get pre-approved and see what you can afford and then maybe look at houses online and see if you love anything. It's all going to come down to money.
LoveyDovey
Posted:
Member since
Re: Should we wait or give it a try?
i was/am in the same boat as you
FH and I have been looking at houses to get an idea and yes there are great deals out there for houses right now and interest rates are great
BUT....the wedding is 4-5 months away
and it is ALOT to take on in that time frame...find a house, buy the house, hope to close on the house quickly, move in, fix it up, etc
sometimes closing on a house does not go smoothly and can be a nightmare
then what do you do right before the wedding or after the wedding, with no house to move in to?
also you need to have a down payment w
and you shouldnt buy a house without having a 3 month cusion (which is what most financial advisors rec) meaning you need to have enough money on hand to get you by for 3 months in the event you lose your job or something
remember once you buy a house...you have higher heating, electric bills, lawn care, boiler, cesspool, roof, appliances, etc
just something to think about
fh and i decided its too crazy to buy a house in the next 4 months and move in
so we will rent an apt for a year and keep our eyes open for a house
also we spoke to a lotttt of married couples and they alllllll said do NOT buy a house the first year you are married because you end focusing alll your time on the house instaed of enjoying your first year of marriage
something else to think about
sorry, i know i talk/type too much, sorry for my essay lol