Post New Topic

my e-ring ... the saga continues

AwaitingAugust Posted:

my e-ring ... the saga continues

as you guys all probably know, my ring got appraised at a lower price than what FH paid for it (thanks to his family's awful connections).

anyway, FH and i spoke with the jeweler a few days ago and asked for a refund ... the jeweler said he refuses to talk to us about that because FH's mom handed him the money and he can only give a refund to her (BS!!! especially since it was FH's money, not his mom's!) .... so we had to ask FH's mom to get involved ... she called today and was told that we have two options:

1. give the ring back to the jeweler and when he sells it, he will pay FH back (he supposedly doesn't have the money right now which is BS again)
2. the jeweler will exchange the diamond i have for a slightly better one (better color grade, and slightly larger)

i def don't want option #2 ... but i feel like if i choose option #1, FH and I will get screwed because the guy will just magically 'not sell the ring' for years to come.

note: the jeweler is a manufacturer, not a regular jeweler so people don't walk into his store to buy stuff (except for my idiot futire-in laws, apparently)

what should i do?

TIA
cateydee Posted:

Re: my e-ring ... the saga continues

DEFinitely not #1!!

little j Posted:

Re: my e-ring ... the saga continues

you definately do not want to keep the ring? this jeweler sounds like a butt! omg. im soo annoyed for you

definately do NOT give it back. that is insane!
jmgoncal Posted:

Re: my e-ring ... the saga continues

Can you sell it to another jeweler? It may be for less than what FH paid for it, but at least you'll get something back - whereas if you give it to this guy you never know. What an awful thing to deal with.

halfbaked Posted:

Re: my e-ring ... the saga continues

He can't do an exchange for the ENTIRE ring with another in his store? Rather than just changing the diamond? That's nuts!
AwaitingAugust Posted:

Re: my e-ring ... the saga continues

honestly, at this point, i HATE this ring ... i put it on every morning and i cringe because of all the crap this jeweler has made me go through (LOTS of issues)

i don't want anything from this jeweler ... i want a full refund so that FH and I can go buy a new ring elsewhere. i just don't know how to get it since this jeweler is such a butt, as you so put it
Dazzlin217 Posted:

Re: my e-ring ... the saga continues


Posted by AwaitingAugust

as you guys all probably know, my ring got appraised at a lower price than what FH paid for it (thanks to his family's awful connections).

anyway, FH and i spoke with the jeweler a few days ago and asked for a refund ... the jeweler said he refuses to talk to us about that because FH's mom handed him the money and he can only give a refund to her (BS!!! especially since it was FH's money, not his mom's!) .... so we had to ask FH's mom to get involved ... she called today and was told that we have two options:

1. give the ring back to the jeweler and when he sells it, he will pay FH back (he supposedly doesn't have the money right now which is BS again)
2. the jeweler will exchange the diamond i have for a slightly better one (better color grade, and slightly larger)

i def don't want option #2 ... but i feel like if i choose option #1, FH and I will get screwed because the guy will just magically 'not sell the ring' for years to come.

note: the jeweler is a manufacturer, not a regular jeweler so people don't walk into his store to buy stuff (except for my idiot futire-in laws, apparently)

what should i do?

TIA




I feel your pain with your e-ring I have had so many issues with mine. Do you have insurance on it? If you do call them. if we didn't call our insurance company we would have been paying out of pocket for new e-ring, but the insurance company is covering a brand new one. so if you have insurance look in to it.
StaceyWill Posted:

Re: my e-ring ... the saga continues

This man is totally insane. I would insist on option #3-make him give you back the $$$$ or threaten you will take him to court.

Edited for spelling
AwaitingAugust Posted:

Re: my e-ring ... the saga continues


Posted by StaceyWill

This man is totally insane. I would insist on option #3-make him give you back the $$$$ or threaten you will take him to court.



CAN i take him to court? i posted something a few days ago (or was it last week) and most people said i don't really have grounds to stand on since FH and the jeweler agreed on a price and FH paid.
little j Posted:

Re: my e-ring ... the saga continues


Posted by AwaitingAugust

honestly, at this point, i HATE this ring ... i put it on every morning and i cringe because of all the crap this jeweler has made me go through (LOTS of issues)

i don't want anything from this jeweler ... i want a full refund so that FH and I can go buy a new ring elsewhere. i just don't know how to get it since this jeweler is such a butt, as you so put it



you have the certs and the 'higher' appraisal right? i would try selling it on your own first!!!
StaceyWill Posted:

Re: my e-ring ... the saga continues


Posted by AwaitingAugust


Posted by StaceyWill

This man is totally insane. I would insist on option #3-make him give you back the $$$$ or threaten you will take him to court.



CAN i take him to court? i posted something a few days ago (or was it last week) and most people said i don't really have grounds to stand on since FH and the jeweler agreed on a price and FH paid.



Can you threaten him though?? Maybe he would get scared and give your $$ back. But, I don't see why you couldn't sue (I'm not a lawyer, but...) I mean you're trying to get a refund and he's not letting you.
AdriandSteve Posted:

Re: my e-ring ... the saga continues

Option 1 isn't an option.

Option 2 COULD be ok as long as you get proof that the diamond is the cut, carat, color etc. that he states it is. That will then bump up your ring appraisal since most of it comes from the diamond's worth anyway.

OR

I'd try selling it and see how much you could get for it.
AwaitingAugust Posted:

Re: my e-ring ... the saga continues


Posted by StaceyWill


Posted by AwaitingAugust


Posted by StaceyWill

This man is totally insane. I would insist on option #3-make him give you back the $$$$ or threaten you will take him to court.



CAN i take him to court? i posted something a few days ago (or was it last week) and most people said i don't really have grounds to stand on since FH and the jeweler agreed on a price and FH paid.



Can you threaten him though?? Maybe he would get scared and give your $$ back. But, I don't see why you couldn't sue (I'm not a lawyer, but...) I mean you're trying to get a refund and he's not letting you.



yeah but different places have diff return policies ... i have no idea what this guy's policy is. i just don't want to threaten suing and then not be able to follow up with that
Jna2010 Posted:

Re: my e-ring ... the saga continues

have you asked him to exchange for another ring?

AwaitingAugust Posted:

Re: my e-ring ... the saga continues


Posted by AdriandSteve

Option 1 isn't an option.

Option 2 COULD be ok as long as you get proof that the diamond is the cut, carat, color etc. that he states it is. That will then bump up your ring appraisal since most of it comes from the diamond's worth anyway.

OR

I'd try selling it and see how much you could get for it.




i'm leaning towards telling the jeweler that we'll do option #1 (he gets ring and we'll get the money) BUT we had better have the entire payment back within 3 months ... that's 3 months more than this idiot deserves! oh, and i'd obviously get this in writing from the jeweler too ... is that a good solution? or am i being too nice?
AdriandSteve Posted:

Re: my e-ring ... the saga continues


Posted by AwaitingAugust


Posted by AdriandSteve

Option 1 isn't an option.

Option 2 COULD be ok as long as you get proof that the diamond is the cut, carat, color etc. that he states it is. That will then bump up your ring appraisal since most of it comes from the diamond's worth anyway.

OR

I'd try selling it and see how much you could get for it.




i'm leaning towards telling the jeweler that we'll do option #1 (he gets ring and we'll get the money) BUT we had better have the entire payment back within 3 months ... that's 3 months more than this idiot deserves! oh, and i'd obviously get this in writing from the jeweler too ... is that a good solution? or am i being too nice?



umm.. your being too nice. So what if you get something in writting. That can only take you so far if it's not a legal document. He can a) switch diamonds on you, b) accidentally 'lose' the ring c)Say he can't sell it d) Sell it at a cheaper price and then tell you, 'I gave you your $ back.. I couldn't sell it for what your FH paid so this is better then nothing right?! I'm doing you a favor.'

Sandradv121 Posted:

Re: my e-ring ... the saga continues

Better Business Bureau. Nuff said.


I hate shady people like that. Your jeweler deserves an a$$ kicking, I'm sorry. I would tell him to pay up or deal with bigger issues.
pipermaru Posted:

Re: my e-ring ... the saga continues

personally i would just take the better diamond... how much money did FH overpay by??

iHeartMoogle Posted:

Re: my e-ring ... the saga continues

Take the bigger diamond and then go to a flea market and try to haggle to get a different one. Maybe they'll give you'll end up with a ring closer in size to the one you have now, but at least it will be something that doesn't make you cringe when you look at it.
merryNmatt Posted:

Re: my e-ring ... the saga continues

dont risk #1!

if you HAD to choose between those 2 options ONLY maybe get a better diamond out of it then pick out a setting elsewhere that you LIKE!

but do not give this guy the upper hand! once he has the ring and he cant pay you right then and there you lose.

good luck!

Reply to this topic

Log in to reply or quote a post.