Upset and Confused ( very long) - UPDATE in OP
I need to vent and get some advice ladies .
So some of you may know that I own my 1 bedroom co-op apt. in Forest Hills. FH owns his house but it's really his mother's house, he built an apt. in the basement before himself before we even started dating, so it was more of a bachelor pad. After Fh and I got engaged we decided that I'd sell my place and move out to Farmgville, since he really couldn't sell his place. We would live in his basement apt. and save aggressively for another house.
Now I've had my issues with moving out there: 1 - comute is longer, 2 - his sister who lives elsewhere with her boyfriend and baby comes over everyday in the morning when she gets off work and in the evening before she goes to work to smoke like an effing chimney, which then that seeps down to the basement apt. I was just going to suck it up and live there and save aggressivley as I said before...enough so we could easily afford two small mortgages which is what we would end up with.
Well my apt. went into contract in early June after going through two other buyers who were crazy we finally found one that we thought was good. Well today I found out the co-op board denied the buyer and ofcourse they don't have to explain why. He had great income made over $75K...so don't know their reasoning.
I don't know what to do now. I have a couple of options but I'm so confused. I'm mostly confused because I'm a contractor at the company I work for right now, so it's not a permanent position. Should they let go of me or not renew my contract FH cannot handle both mortgages on his teacher's salary, not to mention that I make more than he does.
My options are:
1 - Start from square one with the selling process - just not sure if I'd get a buyer because of the economic uncertainties that their are right now in the U.S.
2 - Sublet my apt., which I'm allowed to do - My only thought on that is that I relaly don't want to be a landlord because my parents were and we had such bad experiences.
3 - FH and I will Live in the apt. 5 days a week and then just go out to LI on the weekends - FH is keen on this one if I keep my apt., but it makes it hard to save for a house. Also this one is highly dependant on my job situation because I would be carrying this mortgage.
I just needed to write this all down and just vent. I'm so confused and it *****.. I'm also feeling now like we should've had a much more scaled down wedding or waited longer because of all of this. I also feel like I s u c k for not having a permanent position and being up in the air like this. I just have a ton of emotions I'm going through right now.
Thanks for reading.
******UPDATE******
FH and I had a long talk last night and in the end we've decided to live in my apt. now and possibly sell in another 2-3 years when it's time for us to upgrade. Should my job situation change then we would just try to sublet it. We both agreed it was a blessing in disguise that my apt. didn't sell considering the issues I had with living in his basement apt. and his smoking sister always being over, etc.
I'm very happy about remaining in Queens.
![]()
So some of you may know that I own my 1 bedroom co-op apt. in Forest Hills. FH owns his house but it's really his mother's house, he built an apt. in the basement before himself before we even started dating, so it was more of a bachelor pad. After Fh and I got engaged we decided that I'd sell my place and move out to Farmgville, since he really couldn't sell his place. We would live in his basement apt. and save aggressively for another house.
Now I've had my issues with moving out there: 1 - comute is longer, 2 - his sister who lives elsewhere with her boyfriend and baby comes over everyday in the morning when she gets off work and in the evening before she goes to work to smoke like an effing chimney, which then that seeps down to the basement apt. I was just going to suck it up and live there and save aggressivley as I said before...enough so we could easily afford two small mortgages which is what we would end up with.
Well my apt. went into contract in early June after going through two other buyers who were crazy we finally found one that we thought was good. Well today I found out the co-op board denied the buyer and ofcourse they don't have to explain why. He had great income made over $75K...so don't know their reasoning.
I don't know what to do now. I have a couple of options but I'm so confused. I'm mostly confused because I'm a contractor at the company I work for right now, so it's not a permanent position. Should they let go of me or not renew my contract FH cannot handle both mortgages on his teacher's salary, not to mention that I make more than he does.
My options are:
1 - Start from square one with the selling process - just not sure if I'd get a buyer because of the economic uncertainties that their are right now in the U.S.
2 - Sublet my apt., which I'm allowed to do - My only thought on that is that I relaly don't want to be a landlord because my parents were and we had such bad experiences.
3 - FH and I will Live in the apt. 5 days a week and then just go out to LI on the weekends - FH is keen on this one if I keep my apt., but it makes it hard to save for a house. Also this one is highly dependant on my job situation because I would be carrying this mortgage.
I just needed to write this all down and just vent. I'm so confused and it *****.. I'm also feeling now like we should've had a much more scaled down wedding or waited longer because of all of this. I also feel like I s u c k for not having a permanent position and being up in the air like this. I just have a ton of emotions I'm going through right now.
Thanks for reading.
******UPDATE******
FH and I had a long talk last night and in the end we've decided to live in my apt. now and possibly sell in another 2-3 years when it's time for us to upgrade. Should my job situation change then we would just try to sublet it. We both agreed it was a blessing in disguise that my apt. didn't sell considering the issues I had with living in his basement apt. and his smoking sister always being over, etc.
I'm very happy about remaining in Queens.