Long Island Weddings Vendors ▼

Brentwood Country Club - reception location

Mediterranean Manor Caterers - reception location

Bellport Country Club - reception location

Capture the Moment Photo and Video - wedding video

Snapper Inn - reception location

Waterfront Weddings

Posted By

NEW Invitations: Engraved vs Letterpress vs Thermography??

jennyg

Board Fanatic

884 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
Sep 13 2003

WEDDING LOCATION
Atlantica

Whats a girl to do? I know engraving is the most formal (and the most expensive) kind of printing for invitations but I'm wondering if anyone is splurging on it? Has anyone considered letterpress or thermography instead?

Posted By

NEW Re: Invitations: Engraved vs Letterpress vs Thermography??

Valenia

"I'm Addicted"

2269 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
6/30/2002 12:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Carlyle on the Green

I went with the cheapest (themography). I don't think your guests will notice the difference, and its saves a lot of money!

Posted By

mrsmay31

Board Fanatic

458 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
5/31/2003 12:00 PM

I bought Crane invitations at Lion in the Sun and they showed me an engraved invite and a thermography invite and I couldn't tell the difference. Saved about $400 bucks. Ask to see a sample of each.

Posted By

tanbride

tanbride

"I'm Addicted"

1200 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
9/21/2003 12:00 AM

WEDDING LOCATION
Westbury Manor

I actually just had this explained to me over the weekend- engraved invitations have the raised lettering and you can see the indentations on the back of the inviation. For Thermography, you can still get the raised lettering but there will be no indentation on the back of the card. Themorgaphy is generally cheaper and I agree with Valenia - it's just as nice! good luck!

Posted By

susans

susans

"I'm Addicted"

1731 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
1/25/2003

WEDDING LOCATION
Harrison House/Glen Cove

I was hell bent on letterpress. Our invites came to about $1000. I can very easily tell the difference between thermography and engraving.
I just LOVE the look of letterpress.

It's the one thing though, in hindsight, I wish I hadn't really splurged on.
I loved my invites, but I don't think that it's something that anyone but the bride really appreciates.
I love all the stuff by Gaddis designs.
Sonicstef used them. Very creative. Thermography. Beautiful and more affordable.

Gaddis

MESSAGE EDITED3/18/2003 4:33:30 PM

POSTED 3/18/03 4:30 PM

Posted By

Leelee

It's An Obsession

4030 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
10/12/2002 12:00 AM

WEDDING LOCATION
Queens County Farm Museum

We used letterpress and loved our invites. We got many many many compliments on them. When I was shopping around for our invites..I went to Kate's in NYC-very expensive!
I ordered mine from Exclamation Inivitations and they came out beautiful and much cheaper!!

http://www.exclamation-invitations.com

Posted By

rlivings

Board Fanatic

583 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
5/18/2003

WEDDING LOCATION
Crescent Beach Club

I was all set to order letterpress from Kate's in Mahattan and at the last minute saw a beatiful thermography invite that I loved. I mailed them out 2 weeks ago for my May wedding and I have gotten the nicest compliments. Only your "fancy" relatives and friends will know the difference. I agree!! Save yourself some money is my advice. Remember, only your mom is saving the invite. What I mean is, most people will throw them in the garbage. Use your money wisely. Good luck.

Posted By

jennyg

Board Fanatic

884 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
Sep 13 2003

WEDDING LOCATION
Atlantica

rlivings - I went to Kate's as well...is this where you ordered the thermography invitations from? I just feel better at an actual place rather than using an online service and I love Kate's selection but don't want to get ripped off just b/c its a nice store. I spoke to my mom and she's all for the cheaper option so I will probably just go with that. Thanks for the advice grils!

Posted By

rlivings

Board Fanatic

583 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
5/18/2003

WEDDING LOCATION
Crescent Beach Club

YEs Jenny - I ordered my invites from Kate's. From the William Arthur new 2003 book. I am not going to lie to you, they were expensive. you can definitely get something you love for less. It's just that I fell in love with mine and I couldn't have settled for anything less. Susan at Kate's that I worked with was a doll and my experience picking my invitations was the smoothest of my entire wedding planning process.

Good luck. You will find something that you love!!

FROM SOMETHING BLUE... TO SOMETHINGS NEW! Personalize your wedding with the Long Island Weddings Shop.
mr0211

mr0211
$135.00