Lessing's Waterfront Mansions - reception location

Cupcake Girlz - favors

Camelot Party Rentals - tent

Albums - Tablums

POSTED BY Boston&NY2006
8 years ago
▼ 1697 POSTS | WEDDING DATE 7/8/2006 3:30 PM
Posted By

NEW Sort of sensitive subject...What to do?

Boston&NY2006

Boston&NY2006

Finally a Mrs.!!!!!

1697 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
7/8/2006 3:30 PM

WEDDING LOCATION

So, the mother of my FH's best friend from high school was supposed to be doing the calligraphy for our invitations. She doesn't do it as her profession, but is great at it, and will do it for people she knows for a small fee.

Well, we just found out today that FH's friend's wedding has been called off (she was supposed to be getting married 2 weeks before us). I had been planning on speaking to her mom at the shower (which was supposed to be next weekend) to find out when I could drop off the envelopes, etc. I totally don't expect her to do them since the wounds are so fresh, and the last thing she probably wants to do is address someone else's wedding invitations.

So here's my question: Should we even mention it to her? FH seems to think it would be rude not to say anything since we alreay agreed upon a price, etc and she might be counting on that $$. I feel like we should just not bring it up at all because it will seem selfish and cold, but FH thinks it's worse to just have someone else do them "behind her back."

What do you think?

▼ 9664 POSTS | WEDDING DATE 7/3/2005 3:30 PM
Posted By

NEW Re: Sort of sensitive subject...What to do?

prncssrachel

prncssrachel

One happy family!

9664 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
7/3/2005 3:30 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
The Bourne Mansion

I can see where this is a sensitive subject. Since it is the mother of your FH's friend, I would have him talk to her and ask if she was still interested in doing them. Just have him say something like, "I know we had discussed you doing the calligraphy for our invitations. Are you still interested in doing them, or would you prefer not to?" This way it's up to her. It's only as awkward as you allow it to be. Good luck!

▼ 1673 POSTS | WEDDING DATE 12/17/2005 7:00 PM
Posted By

babybug631

babybug631

Little peanut due in November!

1673 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
12/17/2005 7:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
West Sayville Country Club

I would talk to her. See how she feels about it. Don't just go to someone else, that would insult her.

▼ 2356 POSTS | WEDDING DATE 10/14/2006 2:00 PM
Posted By

scappy123

scappy123

I Love My Baby!

2356 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
10/14/2006 2:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Fox Hollow-WGP

Posted by prncssrachel

I can see where this is a sensitive subject. Since it is the mother of your FH's friend, I would have him talk to her and ask if she was still interested in doing them. Just have him say something like, "I know we had discussed you doing the calligraphy for our invitations. Are you still interested in doing them, or would you prefer not to?" This way it's up to her. It's only as awkward as you allow it to be. Good luck!

This is a great idea, I would definitely give an option, but not make her feel as if she is obligated due to the recent situation....good luck

▼ 8529 POSTS | WEDDING DATE 5/6/2007 6:30 PM
Posted By

werock0709

werock0709

More in love than ever!!!

8529 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
5/6/2007 6:30 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
SandCastle

Posted by scappy123

Posted by prncssrachel

This is a great idea, I would definitely give an option, but not make her feel as if she is obligated due to the recent situation....good luck

I agree with both girls. It shows compassion and thats important right now.

▼ 8599 POSTS | WEDDING DATE 7/9/2006 11:30 AM
Posted By

CLMon7906

CLMon7906

Little Wonders ♥

8599 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
7/9/2006 11:30 AM

WEDDING LOCATION
The Swan Club

Posted by prncssrachel

oooh...this is what i was going to say....just bring it up as a "do you still want to do it?" kind of thing and see how she responds and what she says...just don't say "it's ok if you don't want to.." because then she might feel the guilt if you know what i mean.

POSTED BY Boston&NY2006
8 years ago
▼ 1697 POSTS | WEDDING DATE 7/8/2006 3:30 PM
Posted By

Boston&NY2006

Boston&NY2006

Finally a Mrs.!!!!!

1697 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
7/8/2006 3:30 PM

WEDDING LOCATION

Thanks so much ladies! I was so torn over what to do because I can't even imagine how distraught they are right now (It happened over a week ago, and when FH talked to his friend today, it was the first time she had left the house).

I am going to have FH wait another week or so (we don't need to send out invitations until the end of the month, so we've got some time) and then give her a call.

Thanks again! I knew I could count on you girls for some good advice!

▼ 1175 POSTS | WEDDING DATE 10/5/2007 12:00 AM
Posted By

Captsarkasm

Captsarkasm

OBSSESSED with my Proofs!!!!

1175 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
10/5/2007 12:00 AM

WEDDING LOCATION
The Crescent Beach Club

Sticky situation...... I think I would definitely bring it up...and soon only because obviously your date is approaching....I would just go into it apologizing for the poor timing (which is out of your control but unfortunate just the same) and then give her the option as to whether or not she is still interested....given the sensitivity of the issue. This way, if its a matter of her wanting the money, she can still do it. But if it is too hard for her, she would have an out.... Good luck!!

▼ 863 POSTS | WEDDING DATE 11/12/2006 3:00 PM
Posted By

JennJay

JennJay

Board Fanatic

863 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
11/12/2006 3:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Jericho Terrace

I would definately still ask her about it.

▼ 4404 POSTS | WEDDING DATE 7/28/2007 3:00 PM
Posted By

bride2b24

bride2b24

~Married and loving it!~

4404 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
7/28/2007 3:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Leonards of Great Neck

Posted by prncssrachel

i agree with this post.....def dont leave it unspoken but let it seem like her option...

FROM SOMETHING BLUE... TO SOMETHINGS NEW! Personalize your wedding with the Long Island Weddings Shop.
CONTACT | SITEMAP | ADVERTISING |
PRIVACY |© COPYRIGHT
|      BRIDALPLANNERGROUP.COM