AtticaQT

AtticaQT

Greek Jewel

5649 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
1/9/2005 2:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
North Ritz Club A+

Here is a not so great pic of the lambathes that I chose - except she is going to add a few satin roses like the second pic has -

AtticaQT

AtticaQT

MESSAGE EDITED10/21/2004 10:01:15 AM

POSTED 10/21/04 1:23 AM

Posted By

NEW Greek dancers at wedding

goingtobemrs

Board Fanatic

718 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
5/6/2005 2:30 PM

Hi guys - I am a Greek bride and have a question. We are going to have a dj and then some Greek music as well. My parents were both born and raised there, therefore very old fashioned and traditional. My FH is Irish, German and French. Almost my entire family resides in Greece. A few will be coming to my wedding. So since the majority there will not be Greek and not know how to Greek dance - my brother and sister thought it would be fun to hire a male and female Greek dancer (in traditional Greek outfits) to come in and surprise the guests and start the dancing and show them a few moves. So my sister thought she'd surprise FH and I with this and mentioned it to my paretns and they FLIPPED. They find it insulting to our culture and tradition and said they will NOT have it. FH and I think it would be great and don't feel that way at all. My question...would you do it anyway? They have been making demands aside from this like, my gay friend not being allowed to attend the wedding...I think I have to stop them at some point. So, would you find it insulting as if it were mocking hte tradition or embracing it?

Posted By

NEW Re: Greek Brides??

May152005

May152005

Board Fanatic

938 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
5/15/2005 3:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Crest Hollow CC

Posted by AtticaQT

Here is a not so great pic of the lambathes that I chose - except she is going to add a few satin roses like the second pic has -

May152005

May152005

Those are beautiful Georgia, when you said you were getting them from Kentrikon, did you mean Noufaro, or is this a different place?

POSTED 10/21/04 11:29 AM

Posted By

AtticaQT

AtticaQT

Greek Jewel

5649 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
North Ritz Club A+

Posted by May152005

Those are beautiful Georgia, when you said you were getting them from Kentrikon, did you mean Noufaro, or is this a different place?

Yeah it is Noufaro - i think the full name is Kentrikon Noufaro - i love their work - they are on the pricey side but FH and our koumbaro talked her down a lot. It might have helped that we threw in that our koumbaro is getting married in July too - so i guess she is hoping for repeat business

MESSAGE EDITED10/21/2004 12:06:01 PM

POSTED 10/21/04 12:05 PM

Posted By

May152005

May152005

Board Fanatic

938 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
Crest Hollow CC

Georgia - FH & I bought a few thing from Noufaro for the Christening we were the Godparents for last June, everything we ordered from there was beautiful!

LImom - We're geting the clarinet player with Delta, I've heard that the violinist is really good, but we just felt that my mothers family & FFILs family would enjoy the clarinet more, being that most of the music from the areas in Greece they are from have clarinet in them.

MESSAGE EDITED10/21/2004 4:35:39 PM

POSTED 10/21/04 4:34 PM

Posted By

LImom

"I'm Addicted"

1337 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
5/15/2004 2:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
Woodbury CC

Posted by May152005

LImom - We're geting the clarinet player with Delta, I've heard that the violinist is really good, but we just felt that my mothers family & FFILs family would enjoy the clarinet more, being that most of the music from the areas in Greece they are from have clarinet in them.

Yes. You are right. Different areas have music with distinctive sounds that either the violin or the clarinet create. The islands use the "violi" and the northern parts, where my husband is from, also, use the 'clarino". And you are getting the DJ for the American music too? You will be very pleased with them.

POSTED 10/21/04 10:38 PM

Posted By

LImom

"I'm Addicted"

1337 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
Woodbury CC

Hi tp329

Since I am of your parents' generation, maybe you won't mind my two cents here. I don't think having dancers in ethnic costume would be mocking our traditions in any way, but that said, I do think it is unnecessary and maybe (excuse the phrase) a bit tacky. It is different when a dance troupe or a belly dancer goes to an affair to entertain, but to have someone gathering groups of people to instruct them on how to dance at a formal wedding is another thing. Greek dancing is very easy to follow and most guests get caught up in the music. With a little encouragement they will join in, trust me. They won't mind not knowing the steps.

My daughter's wedding was evenly split between Greek and non-Greek guests. She specified early on that she wanted half American music with a DJ, and half Greek. I hinted that 60% Greek would be better and she said "No! half and half".
My husband and I didn't interfere any more, and I don't know how it happened or when the decision was made, but in the end there was definitely no more than 20% American music. The dance floor was packed the entire time with people from both sides dancing. I wouldn't be surprised if the band leader saw that people were on the dance floor and they just continued playing. At the end, the non-Greeks told me it was an amazingly fun wedding. One fellow said he wanted to go find himself a Greek girl. An uncle of the groom said "I always thought Italians know how to have a good time, but Greeks REALLY know how to party".

I would recommend you to honor your parents' wishes on this, and maybe try to use it to compromise with them as far as your gay friend being invited. Maybe tell them you'll have the Greek part their way, and you'd like to make up your guest list your way.

I hope this helps in a small way. Good Luck!

POSTED 10/21/04 11:19 PM

Posted By

May152005

May152005

Board Fanatic

938 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
Crest Hollow CC

I agree with LImom.

POSTED 10/22/04 12:41 AM

Posted By

goingtobemrs

Board Fanatic

718 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
5/6/2005 2:30 PM

Posted by LImom

Hi tp329

Since I am of your parents' generation, maybe you won't mind my two cents here. I don't think having dancers in ethnic costume would be mocking our traditions in any way, but that said, I do think it is unnecessary and maybe (excuse the phrase) a bit tacky. It is different when a dance troupe or a belly dancer goes to an affair to entertain, but to have someone gathering groups of people to instruct them on how to dance at a formal wedding is another thing. Greek dancing is very easy to follow and most guests get caught up in the music. With a little encouragement they will join in, trust me. They won't mind not knowing the steps.

My daughter's wedding was evenly split between Greek and non-Greek guests. She specified early on that she wanted half American music with a DJ, and half Greek. I hinted that 60% Greek would be better and she said "No! half and half".
My husband and I didn't interfere any more, and I don't know how it happened or when the decision was made, but in the end there was definitely no more than 20% American music. The dance floor was packed the entire time with people from both sides dancing. I wouldn't be surprised if the band leader saw that people were on the dance floor and they just continued playing. At the end, the non-Greeks told me it was an amazingly fun wedding. One fellow said he wanted to go find himself a Greek girl. An uncle of the groom said "I always thought Italians know how to have a good time, but Greeks REALLY know how to party".

I would recommend you to honor your parents' wishes on this, and maybe try to use it to compromise with them as far as your gay friend being invited. Maybe tell them you'll have the Greek part their way, and you'd like to make up your guest list your way.

I hope this helps in a small way. Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice! I guess I will compromise...but the rest will be ME and FH's decisions! They are so paranoid about being embarassed or it not being good enough, etc. Their first child's wedding I guess.

Posted By

LImom

"I'm Addicted"

1337 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
Woodbury CC

Do NOT worry! I have never been to a Greek wedding (or half Greek either!) that wasn't wonderful. Your wedding day will just as good. Plus, I'm sure your parents want you happy and you will have everything your way. That's how it should be.
All the best.
Mary

POSTED 10/22/04 10:06 PM

Posted By

May152005

May152005

Board Fanatic

938 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
Crest Hollow CC

Has anyone been watching the new fames story?

Last night the guy with the long hair was in bed with one of the girls who has long black hair & they were saying that once the cameras shut off (I think the cameras are off 1 hour a day) they would be doing the deed!!!

How terrible is that, I couldn't believe it!

Posted By

LImom

"I'm Addicted"

1337 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
Woodbury CC

This is totally off the topic of weddings, but I really need help. It seems like most of you have family in Greece and may have some suggestions. My husband's aunt and uncle came from Greece specifically for my son's wedding and they are going home on Sat. I need to send gifts back with them. I need something for three married daughters and 3 grandchildren - two girls, 18 and 7, and a 17 year old boy. They already bought sets of sheets for their daughters and Niki sneakers and shirts with NY logos on them for the kids. When I asked for their help they were adamant that they have everything they want in Greece and I shouldn't buy anything. I really want to though.
Thanks very much.

POSTED 11/17/04 10:42 PM

Posted By

Scoop

It's An Obsession

3643 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
11/2/2002

Posted by May152005

Has anyone been watching the new fames story?

Last night the guy with the long hair was in bed with one of the girls who has long black hair & they were saying that once the cameras shut off (I think the cameras are off 1 hour a day) they would be doing the deed!!!

How terrible is that, I couldn't believe it!

I just started watching this show...I can't believe how cheesy the performances are.

Posted By

Scoop

It's An Obsession

3643 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
11/2/2002

Posted by LImom

This is totally off the topic of weddings, but I really need help. It seems like most of you have family in Greece and may have some suggestions. My husband's aunt and uncle came from Greece specifically for my son's wedding and they are going home on Sat. I need to send gifts back with them. I need something for three married daughters and 3 grandchildren - two girls, 18 and 7, and a 17 year old boy. They already bought sets of sheets for their daughters and Niki sneakers and shirts with NY logos on them for the kids. When I asked for their help they were adamant that they have everything they want in Greece and I shouldn't buy anything. I really want to though.
Thanks very much.

My girl cousins always ask me to send them make-up/hair products b/c they are so much more expensive in Greece.

Posted By

LImom

"I'm Addicted"

1337 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
Woodbury CC

Thanks for your response Scoop. I actually got the Aunt to start talking and she gave me some really good ideas. I bought Christmasy kitchen towels and pot holders, a Guess handbag, a Barbie doll and so on. Again, thanks so much.

Posted By

nursedann

nursedann

Wedding Newbie

2 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
2/11/2005 2:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
floral terrace, NY

Hi I am getting married in the greek church in Feb 2005, I have a couple of questions since I am not greek im italian.

1) my priest will also be attending my wedding ceremony, i really want vows done at the ceremony and i heard that my priest can do it as long as it was before the greek ceremony started, anyone have any input?

2) i am looking for a swarovski crystal crown (stefana) i guess you call it...I am going into astoria on saturday anyone have a particular store that has a large selection?

thanks for any help in advance..
Danielle

Posted By

AtticaQT

AtticaQT

Greek Jewel

5649 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
North Ritz Club A+

Posted by nursedann

Hi I am getting married in the greek church in Feb 2005, I have a couple of questions since I am not greek im italian.

1) my priest will also be attending my wedding ceremony, i really want vows done at the ceremony and i heard that my priest can do it as long as it was before the greek ceremony started, anyone have any input?

2) i am looking for a swarovski crystal crown (stefana) i guess you call it...I am going into astoria on saturday anyone have a particular store that has a large selection?

Danielle

Congrats!!

About your first question - i cant really help you with that but i think you can ask winterbride05 (rosanne) she should know a bit about that since she is italian and her fiance is greek.

About your second question - there are a bunch of places in Astoria.

There is:

Eleni's which is on Ditmars and 38th street (i think)

Markellas which is on Ditmars and 35th? st

Kentrikon Noufaro which is underneath the train (31st street and 23rd ave i think) it is next to a dance school and meat market.

Also there is Astron which is on 31st street a bit further up from Kentrikon.

Good luck!! Some of the stefana have crystals in them but i dont know if they are actually swarovski crystals - there are a bunch though so have fun looking!

Posted By

May152005

May152005

Board Fanatic

938 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
Crest Hollow CC

Posted by nursedann

Danielle

Welcome!

The reason your priest has to do the vows before the Greek Orthodox Ceremony begins is because its a rule of the church that for a wedding to be recognized, the final ceremony must be in a Greek Church.

A Catholic Church will recognize a Greek Orthodox Ceremony & consider you 2 "married in the eyes of God", but a Greek Orthodox church will only recognize a wedding ceremony performed in its own church.

As far as the stefana are concerned, I think Georgia listed most of the placesin Astoria you should look into.

If you have any other questions, let us know!

By the way, I love floral terrace, we were going to have our reception there also, but decided to have it at the crest hollow instead to utilize their gardens for pictures since our wedding is in May, I still kinda regret not using floral terrace though

Posted By

nursedann

nursedann

Wedding Newbie

2 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
2/11/2005 2:00 PM

WEDDING LOCATION
floral terrace, NY

Thank you guys for all your input....I really appreciate it..I will be going for the crowns tomorrow after we meet with the greek priest for our SEMINAR...HEHEHE

Floral terrace is so pretty,They run a really nice affair and since im getting married in FEb using the outside is useless to me...but if i was getting married in may i also would use someplace for the gardens....

any advice on a groomsman gift?????

I will let you know what happens with the crowns...we are going to astoria so i printed out those names you gave me...thanks alot
xoxo
DAnielle

Posted By

May152005

May152005

Board Fanatic

938 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
Crest Hollow CC

Goodluck looking for crowns!! Let us know what you find! If you havent done so already, quickly look online for "stefana" just to see the different styles.

I have no idea what we're getting the groomsmen either, I already bought all the bridesmaids gifts, but we dont know what to get the guys. Maybe watches, or a bracelet, or wallet......I'm not too original, if you figure out what youre getting, please share, I might steal your idea

Posted By

AtticaQT

AtticaQT

Greek Jewel

5649 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
North Ritz Club A+

I think we are getting our groomsmen money clips -

My brother gave them leathermen (it is like a foldable plier that has all these gadgets) and teh guys loved them!

Posted By

May152005

May152005

Board Fanatic

938 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
Crest Hollow CC

Posted by AtticaQT

I think we are getting our groomsmen money clips -

My brother gave them leathermen (it is like a foldable plier that has all these gadgets) and teh guys loved them!

Do you have a link that shows what leathermen are, I did a search & couldn't find them.

ETA: Nevermind, I just found them, this is it, right?

Leatherman

MESSAGE EDITED12/8/2004 3:30:50 PM

POSTED 12/8/04 3:29 PM

Posted By

AtticaQT

AtticaQT

Greek Jewel

5649 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
North Ritz Club A+

Yup! That is it! My brother actually had their initials engraved on it.

Posted By

Scoop

It's An Obsession

3643 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE
11/2/2002

Posted by nursedann

Thank you guys for all your input....I really appreciate it..I will be going for the crowns tomorrow after we meet with the greek priest for our SEMINAR...HEHEHE

Floral terrace is so pretty,They run a really nice affair and since im getting married in FEb using the outside is useless to me...but if i was getting married in may i also would use someplace for the gardens....

any advice on a groomsman gift?????

I will let you know what happens with the crowns...we are going to astoria so i printed out those names you gave me...thanks alot
xoxo
DAnielle

Congratulations and welcome. We bought our groomsmen leather travel kits. My husband used to throw all his toiletries (sp?) in a plastic bag before we got married and I figured his friends did the same.

Posted By

May152005

May152005

Board Fanatic

938 TOTAL POSTS

WEDDING DATE

WEDDING LOCATION
Crest Hollow CC

I hope everyone has a great Christmas & New Year!

FROM SOMETHING BLUE... TO SOMETHINGS NEW! Personalize your wedding with the Long Island Weddings Shop.
Candy Bra

Candy Bra
$10.99